Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F1 Spindle- Speedway Steering Arm Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mjlangley, Mar 26, 2015.

1. mjlangley

mjlangley
    from SE MI

I have been lurking for ages and finally got the balls to start my project.

I am trying to install an early F1 axle in my car and convert it to a cross steering setup. I researched and thought I was doing something commonplace, but I've found that I (again) screwed up.

I know folks have used the F1 spindles by removing the stock steering arms (cut/ grind off the passenger side and unbolt the driver's side) and bolting on aftermarket steering arms. My desire was to put the steering arms on the top of the spindle and use a special tie rod end with another tapered hole on the passenger side for a drag link to attach to.

Well, the 'legs' on the Speedway arms are too short, and looking at the box they shipped in, it seems they are intended for earlier car spindles, and for use on the bottom holes of the spindle.

After the rambling, my question is: are there aftermarket arms that I can use on the upper holes to do a cross-steer setup? I think I need to be in the top holes to clear the leaf springs...

Thanks!

P1040104.gif

2. 69fury

69fury

If they are too short, but right spacing, then make your self some spacers to extend the arms towards the spindle, and weld them to the arms once you've got the right length. I'd try a stack of washers to mock it up then make it to that length using barstock. -rick

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The steering arm is designed for the lower holes, the arm will fit there. They make an arm to set up for cross steer that has 2 holes in the right arm. Don't know what to tell you on using them an a truck with parallel leaf springs. I'm not real sure about a spacer there, has a side strain when turning.