Register now to get rid of these ads!

F1 Shock Perch on Full Fendered 32 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wisenheimer, May 29, 2007.

1. Wisenheimer

Wisenheimer

I am planning on using an original F1 shock perch on the front of my full fendered 32. If I follow Vern Tardell's book and enlarge the two rivet holes which hold the stock crossmember in to 7/16 diameter I will then heat and bend the lower eye up to align with the two holes. This with the crossmember itself should be strong enough. The upper portion of the perch will also have to be heated and bent to fit within the fender itself, has anyone done it this way and if so can you post a picture so I can see how it looks. Thanks

2. alchemy

alchemy

On the one I did I had clearance issues between the hoop-style steering arm and the fender. I had a narrow window to fit it in, especially using hooded shocks.

I used one of the stock shock mounting holes on the frame, and drilled the other fresh. I bent the F-1 arm outward slightly at the top-of-frame level. Then I shortened the arm about two inches in the straight middle section. V-bevel the arm a lot, preheat and weld hot, and grind out any imperfections as you build up the weld.

I have an engine mount on the inside of the frame that the shock mount bolts also go through. Since the frame is not boxed I thought it should at least be doubled for more strength.

If I hadn't of used hooded shocks I would have had LOTS more room, but they were important to me.