Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects F1 ...little off the top please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brewsir, May 11, 2009.

1. brewsir

brewsir

Thought I would post up a few pics of a project in my shop this week.. A friend bought this truck from another friend and wanted to get started chopping it before I leave my shop.
    [​IMG]
    I started by fixing the rust at the corners of the windshield...luckily the owner had a spare cowl to patch with....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next I layed out a 3 inch chop yesterday morning and got started....spent today making filler pieces for the gaps...should be done by the end of the week and outta the shop! The big hole in the middle will be filled with a skin from a leftover 40 merc top I have laying around...should flatten the dome slightly but not too much!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Zeke

Zeke

Looking good Brewsir! Looking good! I'm really liking the proportion of chop to body. You nailed it.

3. overkillphil

overkillphil

Looking good! Keep us posted as you progress!

4. Holy ginsue Brewsir! Nice work for sure. Are you gonna raise the top of the windshield up 1", makes the roof look less bulbiss.

-Shiny

5. lookin good man , i need a little off the top as well!

6. Nice work, Brewsir!

7. Looks good. But why did you quarter the roof? With only a 3" chop you could get away with one slice, side to side the and in a 1.5" strip. Just wondering.

8. brewsir

brewsir

I wanted to but the owner likes the roof...I may be able to get a little out of the crown with the new top piece but if it were mine I would have done that.
    I did only cut the back window 2 inches and moved it down an inch...so it centers in the rear panel better and looks more proportionate to the rest of the chop.

9. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

Perfect amount of chop. I also like the rear window proportions.

10. brewsir

brewsir

I don't like working out in the middle of the top on two long strips of weld...it's much easier to work out on the edge where I made the hole. (short arms!)

11. Well that's interesting. Learn something ever day!

12. brewsir

brewsir

made some progress today...got the door frames done and the top piece tacked in place,....starting to take shape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. brewsir

brewsir

Thank you...I'm pretty happy with it.

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that was quick. sorry about the shop.

15. brewsir

brewsir

yea I work pretty fast! Don't sweat the shop...my landlord called yesterday and wants to keep me so he cut my rent waaaaay down....so now I am staying and can afford to actually work on my own shit!!

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

and who said the market is broken.

17. Choptop

Choptop

Nice work big guy. Missed you at Max's last night.

18. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

Hey man - I just finished up a '49 F-1. Good luck - nice start.

19. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Very Nice! thanks for sharing. Slim

20. brewsir

brewsir

finished grinding and filling pinholes....here's the finished shots. Ended up 3 inches lower with only 2 out of the rear window, but I moved it down an inch. The crown flattenned out a bit with the new center piece...probably got another 1/2" there. Now it's on to a C notch for the back and bending new brake lines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. You do Nice work. All your cuts were made in all the right spots. Liked the way you cut the center of the roof out and 1/4 it. You must have cut one or two roofs

22. brewsir

brewsir

One or two...but I had an old guy show me some pointers when I was starting...still....nothing quite like the work you guys do!

23. Proportions are RIGHT! Nice job, man.