Register now to get rid of these ads!

F1 guys inside, need some advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustangmike6996, May 19, 2013.

1. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

For my build i will be installing a 32v DOHC 4.6 and a 5 speed manual (not sure if that changes my options)

but, for the rear end I have an 04 Ford explorer axle (3.73, limited slip, discs)

The truck still has the stock leafs on it, Eaton said it would be about $375 for new springs in stock height or lowered to my liking.

Since I will have to weld new perches onto the axle tubes I figured it would be best to just mount the axle on top of the springs and MAYBE notch the frame if needed.

What would you recommend I do for the leafs if i go this route? Id hate to waste almost 400 bucks only to find out that the rear still sits too high or if i get a lowered pair the frame will need major surgery.

Also, where is the best place to get spring perches?

2. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

3. JonF

JonF

We used Explorer 8.8 on top of stock springs and c notch on frame. We used Exp u bolt, narrowed the bottom Exp plates and Moroso plates like your picture. Works good.

4. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

How much did you need to notch the frame?

5. jfrolka

jfrolka

A lot of f1 guys are re locating their spring hangers up higher on the chassis to get them low, but I cannot ell if their using drop springs too. All depends on how low you want to go. There are a few f1 build threads on here. One truck is a red primer and he is scrapin low, but I forgot his combo.

Anyways, do a search on f1 builds and you will find your answer.

6. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

I've found a ton of threads. Nobody is using drop springs. They're just relocating the rear mount and calling it good. I think I can avoid that by using the 1" drop springs (same price as regular height) and axle flip

7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Not exactly the same but close. On my 53 F100 I used longer shackles, moved front spring hanger to the top of the frame rail, then started removing original spring leafs. Once I got to four the ride is perfect. Of course it can no longer haul much. I did notch the frame but don't think I really need it.

Attached Files:

8. i got 3'' drop springs and i had to relocate de the spring hangers. The rear was to high compared to the front. Up front i got 3'' drop axle + 3'' drop dual springs. depend which set up you have in the front!

JUNK

9. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! Have replaced the stock rear springs on my '48 with springs and hangars from a small Ranger pickup, before you remove the parts from the donor frame record the distance from the front hanger bolt to the axle centerline, the distance from the rear hanger bolt to the axle centerline, and the distance from the front to rear hanger bolt just to make sure your math is correct. Best of luck with your project.

10. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

what year ranger? do you have any pics of the project or how the truck sits now?

11. ...save some $ and get yourself some truck leaf springs that mount to the frame like yours, on the sides,...these are off a late 60's early 70's Dodge truck....Chevy/Ford will work also, just get ones about the same length as your originals. I got these from a 2-wheel trailer that a guy gave to me.
    ..then mount your rear on the top of the leafs and use blocks to get the ride heigth you want. I may need to do a small notch on mine yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. I've done 3. I just put the axle on top of stock springs and C-notch. Cheap and easy.

13. ...doing it this way will really lower your truck, maybe too low.

14. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Mine sits in the stock location.....moved front perch up a couple of inches

[​IMG]

15. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

does anyone have the distance from spring eye to spring eye?

I am trying to do research on what other side mount perches will fit. im deployed right now so i cant go measure my truck

16. ...I'm thinkin they are about 46-8 inches, I'll check today.

17. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

thanks, i appreciate it. I have found different answers all over the net. Im trying to find a newer truck with similar style mounting that i can score for cheap and kill 2 birds with one stone. lowered and replaced for low cost