Register now to get rid of these ads!

f1 dropped axle question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuceV8, Oct 16, 2003.

1. deuceV8

deuceV8

I've got an old Mordrop dropped axle for my 50 f1 and I want to install it. My question is what all will have to be modified or changed if any when I install this. If anyone has done one of these before let me know.

2. I have one on a 50 chevy, all I had to do is lower the steering arms on the spindles. Larry

3. 48bill

48bill

I had MorDrop drop the axle for my 48 F-1 four years ago. In addition to lowering the steering arms for tyrod clearance the tyrod had to be shortened as the dropped axle is narrower than before being dropped. I also had to drill and tap the axle for a lower shock mounting as the original one was stretched to a narrow oblong hole. It was also necessary to grind the axle and steering arm on the passenger side for clearance. The rubber snubbers were also cut in half. While it wasn't a straight "bolt-in" I am pleased with the look of the dropped truck. I also replaced the original springs with a set of new ones from Posies which gave it an additional 1 1/2 to 2 inches of drop.

Bill

4. make sure you check the length of the front brake hose's...they may be short when you drop it

5. old beet

old beet

Had one on my 51 for years. Dropped ty rod ends and heated and bent steering arm. Bought dropped ends, and all they did was cut a stocker in half and weld it to a piece of 3/8 plate offset, could have done it myself, but it worked fine.