Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects F1 crossmember in a AV8

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by slickscustoms, Apr 22, 2015.

1. slickscustoms

slickscustoms

To the guys running a f1 transmission crossmember in your av8 what transmission mount are you using? I just started mocking my crossmember up and the tail housing looks like it's sitting pretty high to me. Here's some pics. Nothing is centered squared or where it's gonna stay, it's just sitting in there ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429737246.120497.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429737265.284040.jpg

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

well whats up at the front?

3. slickscustoms

slickscustoms

I'll be putting a 59a in it ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429738262.761530.jpg

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

It looks like how mine looks. You gotta clearance the original crossmember.
    On second thought I do remember using maybe a 46-48 car mount or something. But that was a while ago so its a bit foggy.

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Looks too high to me, I just built a cross member out of 2" square tubing. This is the second car I have done this on with no problems. The carb base should be close to level with the drive train in place.

6. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

Any chance of a pic of your cross member..

7. slickscustoms

slickscustoms

Yeah I know I'll have to trim the stock crossmember but this just looks way too high. The mount came off of a rebuilt side shift transmission case that's supposed to be a 47. Are the rubber mounts through the years different thicknes??

8. Meyer

Meyer

Mine looks close to that. As was said before, my carb base is within 1 degree of level so mine is fine.

9. I have no clue about carb angle but my crossmember is just like that. You will need to notch out the stock model A crossmember, both the front and back side.

[​IMG]

patmanta and bct like this.
  10. slickscustoms

slickscustoms

Me and a buddy put the body back on today. I'm not gonna have room to run the fan the way it is but with a generator mounted fan I'll have plenty of room. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429837927.070144.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429837945.954324.jpg

11. slickscustoms

slickscustoms

Thanks for all the replies!!!

12. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

I cut in to my cross member also, in order for my torque tube to fit. I'm using the same transmission mount. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430112211.232594.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430112295.691535.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430112347.766284.jpg

FlatJan and bct like this.
  13. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Looks just like mine. Check my build thread, tons of pics.

14. JohnsonT

JohnsonT

I made my own crossmember, but used the old 51 mount and some of the model A engine mounts to create it.

Attached Files:

15. FlatJan

FlatJan

Would you tell me your carb angle?
    @ JUNK YARD KID: Is the Ford 1942-48 transmission mount lower than original F1 and compatible to the F1 crossmember?

16. the-rodster

the-rodster

17. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

You weren't supposed to notice the floorboard-hugging altitude of using the F-1 crossmember. The common fix is to gut the Model A center crossmember leaving far less support. The argument, however lame is that the F-1 piece will replace that weakness. Quid Pro Quo you get an engine that dives down in the front, and after jacking it up in the front, several other clearance issues such as firewall or fan can bite you on the ass, depending on your body mounting like channel etc. Sure legions of rodders got away with it, but the result is a cobbled mess, which from my recollections, having come from a hotrod family, is regrettably traditional. Is it worth it for a pretty fair pedal mount and a too high rear mount, or are other approaches more elegant, or should I have said cool? My favorite line from Sponge Bob is: Good Luck with that! Fred A

18. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

For what it's worth I am doing a f1 crossmember also and feel it sits high at the trans. What watwr pumps are people runnjng with this crossmember. My other car I did a tardel crossmember which was more money and I'm not happy with the quality but it went in easy. If I do another I'm gojng to get a real 32 and slice and dice if I can bring myself to do it.

19. sdroadster

sdroadster

I put an F1 cross member in a 28 roadster, and thought my transmission was too high also. I soon discovered the torque tube, and U joint were also at a very high angle. If I had to do it again, I would consider cutting the center out of the F1 just past the transmission mounts. With a floor jack under the trans, I would lower the works until the floorboards fit flat, and the torque tube missed the stock cross member. Tack the F1 back together, then reshape the edges, and create some fill pieces to complete the modification. The F1 would look stock, but would have a deeper belly in it allowing the transmission to sit lower.

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  20. titus

titus

same as the 5 ive done

21. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

I found that the crossmember, if lowered to a less unfortunate angle, the F-1 pedals become more difficult to fit to a Model A floor. Beyond or should I say, below that, the lowered member in a fenderless car, looks like just that, hanging under the frame for all to see. My reason to try the F-1 stuff in the first place is my preference for the '42 style "Taco" engine mount over the venerable "hockey puck". The whole F-1 scheme was too good to be true as an alternative to the much more expensive K-member and 32 pedal method. At car events I always crawl around to find how engine and trans rear mountings are done. All that to steal any good idea that won't look like a mistake. I still have hope that the port side of the member can be attached to an A frame to support my pedals, but the rest of the rear support may better be done by a fabrication. Since my ill-fated V8 mock up, I have strayed into a lovely Cragar/B that won't need to be reengineered. Have fun with it and perhaps some of the less glorious aspects can be avoided by a more clever rodder. Fred A

22. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

I am putting together the same set up as the original poster. Does the transmission mount to the crossmember get a rubber cushion?
    Post 1, and 12 do not show one. Post 15, i think does.
    thanks

23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before you do anything else, check out @Justin in PA 's thread "Another way to hack an F1 Crossmember". I used his idea on mine and it works great. I also capped the ends of the crossmember and drilled holes in the endplates so I could bolt the crossmember in.
    59AB tranny crossmember.jpg

Attached Files: