Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F1 brake upgrade ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richie R, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Ok, have a bunch of brakes bits I'm playing with, trying to work out a way to have equal size brakes front and rear for my Model A RPU.

Ideally you always have bigger front brakes but can play with wheel cylinder size to get 70% front braking.

I have a shortened 9" diff using late 1976 F100 style brakes. These are 2 1/2 x 11" big brakes.
    My front are complete 1949 F1 brakes, these have paper thin drums that will never see the road again and needing a full rebuild.
    Looking for ideas, I had one when I first wrote this post but just realise I will have brake pivot issues.
    Anyone have ideas?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  2. vwdave30

vwdave30

On your front brakes you can run the brake shoes and hardware for a 66 f100 and have self adjusting brakes thats the only information i got that might be helpful

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Drums are the same measurements as rear on some 89 and 90 Bronco . Look different but work fine . Not much upgrade using 66 stuff other than self adjusting . Still a 2 inch shoe . I ran my 48 many miles with , stock front any 11x2.5 rears , with a power booster . Stopped great

4. Only thing I can think of is having a longer brake pivot in the F1 backing plates then the 11 x 2 1/2 brake should fit. Or use 12" F250 front?

5. Beau

Beau

I have all f1 brake stuff, but use a drum that was a rear and just a tad wider. Do a search under my name and there's a thread for it.

6. Andy

Andy

I have some fairly new wheel cylinders that measure 1.040 instead of 1.062. I replaced them with some 1.125 cylinders and new shoes and turned the drums. Much better.

7. That's pretty good information to have.

An adjustable brake proportioning valve is an inexpensive easy way to change your brake bias. It doesn't have to be hanging out in the breeze it can be stuffed someplace that makes it a pain in the butt to tweak and nearly impossible for anyone to see.

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Most are! lol.