Register now to get rid of these ads!

F/X cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Notorious, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Notorious

Notorious

New here and absolutely love the site. I'm wondering if anyone here has or is building a street replica of an old factory experimental drag car. Just like the gassers, altereds and etc. of that era, they were just too cool. These are the cars from which the term "funny car" was derived of course but before the one piece flopper bodies. Altered wheel bases, set back engine, injector stacks sticking through the hood and a straight axle of course. Any other fans of these? I'm betting yes. :cool:

Deuces likes this.
  2. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I'm a HUGE fan of these cars. Lots of lookalikes on here, I'm even getting ready to do a 63 F100 Styleside kinda like the F 100XL Drag Truck that was unibody. Just do a search for gasser, I did and came up with ALOT of cool stuff.

Deuces likes this.
  3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

This is a 51' Ford altered wheel base that I bought from our very own "Groucho". It's got a 421 Pontiac with a 4 spd. It was just shot for Rod & Kulture magazine.
    dsc00062ks2.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  4. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

5. Notorious

Notorious

I did a search on factory experimental and found at least one link w/ relevant pics. http://samson-power.com/65afx/photo.htm They were not gassers although they had some similarities to them. Actually by the rules of the time I believe they could be run as and sometimes were run as altereds. Most of the pictures on this link are actual F/X cars are precisely what I was describing.
    Some of my favorite body styles for these were the '65 Coronet or Belvedere, '66 Dart, '65 and '66 Fairlanes or Comets, etc. I've always wanted to build a fairly authentic street replica of this brief and unique period in drag racing. With the great variety of cars and tastes around here, surely someone's doing one.

6. swimeasy

swimeasy

I agree that those cars with the rear wheels moved forward were a real kick in the ass!

7. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

Notorious - I envision doing that one day as well - my problem is the lack of budget and lack of talent. I actually have 2 old sports cars and an old motorcycle that need attention, so I will probably sell one of the cars.

I likely will snare a beater Chevy II or Dart and keep it, and execute as time and money permit.

Love the F/X cars - more so than the gasser...hope to see more!

8. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Darryl Drokes 65 fairlane B/FX 427. My fav !!

9. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I just picked up: "Extreme Muscle Cars...The factory lightweight legacy" by Kruse Publications at Iola. It's an awsome book that covers Factory lightweight and AWB cars. It's full of vintage photo's as well as modern photo's of some of the cars from then as they are today.
    It covers every brand from AMC to Pontiac, as well as some stories about original lightweight drivers.
    I HIGHLY recommend it!

10. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Anybody know more this car????????????????????? I freaking love this car!

Attached Files:

• afx6.jpg
      afx6.jpg
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Views:
    Deuces likes this.
  11. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

If you go to www.performanceking.com, you'll see some good work from "Mr. Rich" - unfortunately, he's West Coast, no help to me. Another interesting group is www.thefunnycarfarm.com - these are the guys that helped Steve Magnante build his Nova 'basher.

I lean towards doing a Nova since you can buy bolt on front clips complete with the axle assembly. Not cheap, but easy for the all thumbs crowd. Otherwise, I'd get a straight axle from a Mopar van and put it on.

No way I could accomplish the read wheel move. I am limited to engine work, body stuff is not my thing...any East Coast shops that do that work?

12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I was involved with 4 friends in the purchase of a 1962 Plymouth Savoy. We bought this car in 1966 and ran it that summer at the local drag strip. The car was one of the first factory lightweight non altered wheelbase cars. I believe these cars were built for the series of exibition match races that toured the country in 62 and 63. This car featured raised torsion bar mounts, aluminum front bumper, hood, and fenders. The rear side windows were plexiglass, there was no rear seat (reminiscent of a business coupe) no door windowcranks or vent windows, just a piece of glass sliding up and down in the chanels on a with a piece of nylon strap to raise and lower it. It had no carpets, a taxicab style bench seat, no radio, no heater. It did have a spare tire, filled like a tractor tire with water and calcium chloride for weight. It had traction bars on the rear axle (don;t know if they were stock or add on) The engine was a 413 Wedge with the long style cross ram intake, factory headers, and push button loadflite trans (truck unit) with 4.13 locked dif rear axle.
    We ran it A Gas Street Altered, on cheater slicks. I think the best time was a high 11's, the factory cars were running low 10's at about 145.

These were the follow on altered wheelbase deal (1965)
    Richard Petty Sponsored a 66 altered wheelbase hemi Barracuda I remember being at the local strip running agains Dick Landy car like the one below.

http://www.mopar.com/img/body_profile_mu_1005a.jpg

http://www.mopar.com/img/body_profile_mu_1005a.jpg

http://www.mopar.com/img/body_profile_mu_1005d.jpg

13. tpw35

tpw35

I love them, I am building a 65 falcon, I moved the rear axle forward 10 inches. I have a chrome moly straight axle for the front it will be 5 inches forward. I have an F.E. ford engine that I am building for it.

14. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

tpw - you have pics?

15. axle

axle
    from Drag City

A few years ago i helped build 2 A F/X style Pontiac Tempests. A white 62 that runs high 9's/low 10's , and a white 63 that runs mid 11's.
    Both are Pontiac powered.

16. Judd

Judd

Here is my clone of Hadin Proffett's car. Fenderwell exit headers are in the works, and I'm thinking about moving the front wheels forward a couple of inches.

Attached Files:

Tickety Boo and Deuces like this.
  17. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

Judd,

Is that a stock wheelbase? Hayden's Comet definitely had the rear wheels pushed forward. Even so, pushing the front with a straight axle is awesome, definitely do it.

I was into the idea of Nostalgia Funnies before the new craze (with new "old" bodies - feh!) - they even have Associations to run. I know there are Super Stock leagues, but what about an F/X group? Anyone know if that exists?

18. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

1 AWB 65 Dodge just left our shop...........another in the wings..and our 65 Comet AWB also...and a 65 Plymouth coming out soon.

M.

Deuces likes this.
  19. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

Tex, really? How much do they run?

Curious - I am not in the market, but if/when .... of course by then it'll still be outta my league!

20. Judd

Judd

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  21. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Here's ours, working on the Falcon right now

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tickety Boo likes this.
  22. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

I love that Falcon! Should be awesome!

23. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Bad ass falcon! Hey it makes a great desktop pic too.

24. tpw35

tpw35

I will take some new pictures this week, The one in my profile is old.

25. SLVRBLLT40

SLVRBLLT40
    from Orange, Ca

It's not a copy of anyone's car, but it's still an A/FX or possible gasser anyways. I'm in the process of building a mid-60's style 1963 Plymouth Valiant. I've made room for the 440, but I'm stock on whether I should run the heavy but easy straight axle or the light but not as period correct independent? Decisions.

26. tpw35

tpw35

I picked up a chrome moly axle at a swap meet that I am using, This makes it easier to push the front wheels forward.

27. turdytoo

turdytoo

Can't help but remember a buddy in the mid 60's started to alter the wheelbase on his new Plymouth when he got sent to basic training by the National Guard. He had it cut up real good at a buddies house when he left. Seems his dad had a minor wreck and thought he'd just drive his son's car while his was getting fixed. When Bill's dad saw this "new, still not payed for, cut up, undrivable car" he wrote his son and said, "boy you really done it now". The car eventually got finished and even later got a hemi transplant and drove the streets of Fresno.

28. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

Zettle, I've seen your Pontiac - the look is great, but I love the Falcon!!

29. Damn, that Pontiac is the bomb!!!!!!

30. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I'm working on a 65 Belvedere 2-door sedan altered wheelbase.I moved the rear 17in. and the front is a straight tube axle.The Fenner Tubbs 65 A/FX Plymouth is my inspiration.