Register now to get rid of these ads!

F^$#&N dirt dobbers! dirt in my 327

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brian26, Mar 20, 2009.

1. I am one of those hacks that has one anal retentive issue when it comes to cars---I DO NOT LIKE DIRT IN MY STUFF.

This means engines, hubs etc.

Today I go pick up an early 60's 327 sbc. It is everything they said it would be, rebuilt, ready to go. Anyway, I pull off the breather tube behind the intake, and find a dirt dobbers nest. I tried to clean it out in a hurry, but the more i messed with it, the more it crumbled and went into the engine.

Since the intake and pan are going to be changed, what cleaning measures can I take to get peice of mind?

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Garden hose and rifle brushes followed by a liberal wd40 hosing. Water only hurts engines when they're stored in it, not washed in it. Good luck

3. Wow. You have issues if your worried about it that bad, if your pulling the pan and all that you should just check it over good. Dont you own a shop vac?

4. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I always thought they were 'traditional' on a car.... or was it 'custom' ? ;)

[​IMG]

5. From over the ocean, what the hell are those things?

6. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

flying pain in the ass! wasps. They're not really aggressive but make nests of mud all over everything. but they do kill spiders and im not a spider fan so it evens out

7. whid

whid

pulled an intake off a 305 that had been sitting along time.it had a mouse nest that took up half the lifter valley.how did it get in there?..............................dave

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Actually they are called "Mud Daubers"...not dobbers...!!! And they are a mostly Midwestern wasp, but we have them in eastern ColoRODo as well...they can get into areas you would not believe.

From Google:

Mud daubers may become a nuisance when they construct nests of mud, especially on porches, decks, sheds, eaves, attics, ceilings, walls and under roof overhangs around homes and other structures where people live, work and play. They are considered nuisance pests since nests are not defended and stings are rare. In spite of their formidable appearance, these solitary wasps are not aggressive and controls are rarely needed.
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TH>[​IMG] <TR><TH>Mud Dauber and Nests </TR></TR></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Been fighting those bastards for years, they love the opening on cowl induction hoods!

Anybody who's never dealt with em doesn't understand. Those "daubs" of mud are super duper fine and very densely packed. The mud has incredible durability and strength, it's like unfired porcelain. So if those bastards started filling up holes in the block, simply running the engine won't clear it out.

Also pretty sure they're a predator for a lot of bugs including aggressive wasps and they're known to keep ants in check. Those huge stingers will scare the hell out of ya, but having a few around your property isn't the end of the world.

good luck

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  10. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Don't Kid yourself Man, They are All over in Southern California !!

And i HATE flying bugs with Multiple bodies .. Just Fuckin Gross !

11. vertible59

vertible59

We've got plenty of them sumbitches in Georgia too!

12. zbuickman

zbuickman

hey now careful there or well send some to you just like we sent you mice..... arnt they fun:D

13. Old61

Old61
    from PA

Gottem up here in NEPA and in New Yawk too.

14. havi

havi

My flathead is completely filled with dirt. I mean completely! sat outside for 20 years, so I assumed ants took it over. Maybe it was daubers? One thing you all may want to experience is the mass migration of army worms...and the cocoons they leave behind.

15. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I brought a parts car back from Arkansas it had a big nasty rat in it .And dozens of dirt dobbers. I smile and curse every time I have to clean the damn nests out of things.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

We got them on the East Coast as well...

17. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yeah, the sons of bitches go in the attic of my garage and do their best to fill the intake manifolds I've got stored there with shit. Two or three times a year, I declare all out war on them and destroy them, but then all of their relatives come to the funeral.

18. Look at it this way, it could have been mouse piss!

19. Kustm52

Kustm52

Ever had them build in your air tools? They are so bad here, not use a tool for a few days in the summer, come back and hook up the air line and pfffffffftttt. then you have fine grit all in your tools. Really sucks when it's a paint gun. I finally started putting rubber plug/caps over the inlets when not in use. And they will search out any crack along the eaves of the building to get in..... hate them little bastards.

Brian

20. We mainly have the yellow/black wasps here. Daubers must not like the wind!?

21. sir

sir

they live in my shop walls (outside) had a small fire and went to use my fire extingusher and the nozzel was plugged up with mud,the water pump outlet on my boat motor pluged with mud,so watch your stuff!!.

22. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

What the fuck ?

23. That's a hornet's nest built in a '55 Chevy. No can of Raid is gonna take care of that.

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I've never seen them inside an engine but I'd like to have a quarter for every nest that I've seen on the third member of cars and trucks. Doing exhaust for 25 years, you get to look at a lot of rear ends.:D They love the T-111 wood siding on my house.

25. LOL, T you caught me. Now you suspect me of wearing a pony tail and birkenstocks..

I do love this quote from that page.

26. Says its a hornets nest. Thats some crazy stuff. Would not want to go near that during the day time. I woulda killed all of them way before they filled up my car.-Weeks

27. peace and harmony man!

28. Skullets and dirty feet!