Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects F.E.D. Build, Y not a Y-Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Apr 11, 2010.

1. After getting a face full of oil on my last run at Eagle Field I have now installed oil restrictors to the rockershafts and replaced my Offy valve covers with some plane Moon covers with two breathers apiece. (four total) I have also added a little trim to the body work, all I need now is a "Y-Blocks Forever" sticker. ;)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Tim, That is one neat rail you have there ! Love the hopped up Y-Block. Seems to run pretty darn good.

3. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Sounds like it's time for a non-traditional pan evacuation system.

4. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

awesome just awesome

5. That has been on my mind, but I'm holding out. :p

6. OK, so my block is cracked. Well it looks like I'm not the first guy to go 4" on a Y-block and have this problem, I talked to Ted Eaton and he has had the same thing happen so I think I'm in good company. As it sits right now I have my spare engine ready to go into Elwood at a moments notice but I have a line on some solid copper gaskets that will isolate the water to the heads and I think will solve my problem for now. Either way I am going to be at Eagle Field on the 9th. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spare Y-Block ready to install. ;)

[​IMG]

7. GARY?

GARY?

Is this the same car that was Champion Raceway in Medford, OR a couple weekends ago? There was Y-block FED there that I didn't see make a pass.

8. That must have been Bob Lindsey, his car looks a bit like mine but it's blown.
    [​IMG]

9. "do you think It would be realistic for a big guy (I'm 6'6" and 300+) to modify the cockpit enough for me to fit?"
    Why Certainly. PM if you want to talk about big guys big cage.
    Don

Enjoyed the pics and story on this thread BTW. Anyone who actually knows what end of the dragster the motor goes in is a friend of mine.
    Gearwise i run 3.91s and 28 inch Mickeys.
    Don

10. GARY?

GARY?

Yep, that must have been Bob. Great looking motor he had there.

11. Pulled the engine yesterday, now I just need to swap a few parts to my extra motor and we'll be in bussiness. Eagle Field is only three weeks away, no problem. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Hmmm, Folger's coffee in the garage,,,

13. Arrrgh, a Fram oil filter..
    You're in trouble now! :D

What's the secret to a 4" bore "Y" block?
    Can it be done successfully?

14. I know! I feel the same about Fram but it was the only shorty I could find at the time. This time around I have a Mobil1.

I'm not sure about the 4" bore. since this happened to me I have found that it has happened before, even to Ted Eaton, furnace brazing the top of the sleeve to the deck was suggested but not very easy to do. I am just going to run this one as is since it is short race only but in the future for the street I think 3 15/16" may just be max bore size and you better have a real good core to get that.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  15. hotrods316

hotrods316

Tim,

Been watching from the beginning. Sorry to hear about the cracked block but super excited you have a spare ready to go! Keep us updated on the progress before the next race.

Matt

16. Looks like that Triumph is getting in your way................send it to me, I have room.

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Sorry CT I am closer he can bring it here!!!

18. Sorry guys but it's happy right where it is. :D

19. Damn, This think is cool. Great job.

20. Tim, I know i have little to offer in the way of advice but would shot-peening the sleeves be of any help? BTW I hope to see video of Eagle field cause it looks like i'm gonna be having son #2 about that time and will miss it again

21. Dustin, The sleeves aren't really the problem it's the block or lack of it once you have bored it for the sleeves. these are 1/8" wall so you are boring a block that was originally 3 3/4" bore to 4 1/4", that's a lot of meat gone.

You know I'll have some video up after Eagle Field! Should be a lot better C/GD class this time around, more cars to run. :D

22. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Could you machine a "rebate" into the top of the sleeves, then braze them up and lathe them flush and press them in [ interferance fit ].
    Then use a large gas torch to get everything "cherry"
    Sure there will be some heat warpage , but everything will be machined true afterwards.

The reason I'm asking if this is possible , I'm looking at wet sleeving a falcon engine to get some cubes

23. Back together and ready to install. I know what I'm doing this weekend. ;)
    [​IMG]

24. <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top>Ok Guys, I got Elwood back together this weekend. I'm going to be running my 338ci spare pickup engine so I can make the Eagle Field meet, it will also be a nice test of the engine as I may use it in the next project as a C motor in the new Unibody LSR truck. The 322ci 4" bore dragster engine will be back and running as soon as I get my solid copper gaskets back, they should isolate the cooling liquid to the heads and make the cracks in the block a non issue.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

25. slepe67

slepe67

Tim, congrats on your triumphant build! I jsut spent an hour and a half catching up on this. I was out of town on, um "business".

It was refreshing to pop in here and see your thread on the first page tonight. THis thread was one that I thought of often, I was glad to see that you finished your car. It was like a time machine! I sat down and read the thread in one sitting.

Kudos my friend, kudos!

26. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Cool Tim, I'm throwing a 350 in ours to make it. We just need to keep it quiet so Carl don't know:D Rocky

27. It's gonna be fun no matter what we are running. ;)

28. Tim are you thinking of a set of John's heads???

29. Glad you enjoyed it, now you can get started on yours. ;)

I've been thinking about them but not for this project, maybe the next LSR truck. I think they would do more good in that application. I can make a pretty good set of "G" heads with a little bit of labor for a lot less than 2K.

30. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA