Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects F.E.D. Build, Y not a Y-Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Apr 11, 2010.

1. totally excellent workmanship!! the FED looks beautiful, the motor looks /sounds beautiful, the wife is beautiful, life is good my man!!

2. Thank you! Life is Good indeed! :D

3. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

Don't forget the little Triumph!

4. This one's for Lippy. I almost fell asleep in it last night. :D
    [​IMG]

5. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

+1... atta boy, Tim... you must be doin something right!

6. Still working on little details. The wiring is done, I now have a fuel pump, water pump, fan, starter and ground for the mag and all work. Also the master disconect, now I just need to run fuel lines. Had a little problem there, I ordered AN6 fittings and line but the bung on the tank was 8. Duh! all the right stuff is on its way now should be able to make it move under its own power by Sun.

7. impressive machine work! hope there will be a youtube video of that y-block running

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ha! Thanks Tim, you just can't get out of it can you? You've got the itch bud! Sure would like to be there to see it run the first time. You are an inspiration to us all. It's a ton of work and you should be proud. I know what it takes to build one of these cars. Time, sweat, you name it. Have fun bud and good luck with everything. :D Your gonna have a blast! Lippy

9. RICKY MCGREGOR

RICKY MCGREGOR
    from wichita ks

Some guys are just ture craftsman,looks great.

10. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

wow! after looking at the work being done here i feel like i should just give up working on cars and collect stamps or something.. damn

11. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

Tim that is truely a thing of beauty

12. Put my new carb. covers on tonight. what do you think?
    [​IMG]

and my wifes best "sexy" pose. ;)
    [​IMG]

13. Better hers than yours...car is looking very appealing

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  14. 69supercj

69supercj

Man that thing sounds AWESOME!!!! Sure wish the ole 272 in my '58 SWB sounded like that!

15. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Tim, Looks like your rail is going to be ready for some drag racing ! Let us know how you do next weekend.

16. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Tim, have I told you lately that I hate you and all of your wonderful toys !? The rail looks outstanding, you and the wife have done a great job! ! !

17. GARY?

GARY?

Y hell yeah!!

18. OK guy here it is, runs great but the water pump wont draw the water from the radiator (to low maybe) and my 3500 rpm torque converter sure feels like it wants to engage at a lot lower rpm. It's a Hughes any sugestions? I'm not an auto trans. guy and know very little about the tranny but I would think you should have to rev it to 3500 before it grabs. :rolleyes: Anyway it still sounds good. :)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vH102HlIo2I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  19. The way you check stall speed is put the trans in high, stand on the brake, watch the tach and floor the gas.
    The highest rpm in high gear is your stall speed.

Call Hughes

20. I took the car off the stands and the weight is a big help so I don't think I have such a problem. My fuel regulator is a bit touchie also and with 94's it makes for a rich idle so my problems may be easier to work out than I expected. :D

21. bigfive

bigfive
    from south L.A.

22. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

With the radiator that low the whole system needs to be full before it will pump. What is the highest opening in the system? Maybe a fill point in the old heater line would help fill it full and let any air out.

23. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I was going to ask if you had it on the ground with a load on it.

I can't tell from your pics but you need to have a vent of some kind on the high point of your cooling system. You most likely have air trapped in the motor and thus not getting full flow through the loop.

24. Tonight I'm going to make a small expansion tank to go where the filler is now, it will lift the fill point a couple of inches above the return line and give a little room to expand so as not to puke the water out.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  25. Here's the fix. New filler neck above the return line, now water moves just fine. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Come on saturday.....fun fun.

27. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Perfect solution. Raise some hell on Sat!

28. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Sounds REAL good! Can't wait to see a pass!

29. I'll be hauling the car out to PTV tonight for some quick test runs, say a Prayer and wish me GOOD luck. Let's see how strait he tracks. :D

See you guys on Saturday. ;)

30. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Good luck Tim, take it easy for a bit. Lippy:cool: