Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F-100 radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clint86, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Clint86

Clint86

I'm looking for some help. Right now I have a transplant radiator from what I think was a mustang. I'm looking for a stock radiator for a 1959 F-100, can anybody tell me where I might find one for a decent price? LMC asks $600+ for theirs. Any help is appreciated.

2. willymakeit

willymakeit

Not sure but have you tried Mid Fifty. They might be able to point you in a direction. Also try the Ford Truck Enthusiasts site. It can be a good site for info.

3. luckystiff

luckystiff

theres someone on the fridge facebook group that has good pricing on aluminum units that several folks have been happy with and i beleive they are 2/3 or so of that LMC price. PRC will build you a NICE alum unit all furnace brazed high quality for probably less than that LMC price.

I have a connection at Champion that i could check with. I could also call the shop i used to work at to get an estimate on a PRC unit as they are a dealer....ken...

4. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

I bought one from the "radiator lady" its a aluminum radiator that bolts right in for about $ 200.00 or they have them on ebay also.

5. aircoup

aircoup

6. ryno

ryno

68 mustang from oreillys, I think I paid about 160 for the one I used in my unibody.

7. verde742

verde742

If I can be a KNOW-IT-ALL: you do not want a stock radiator, they were the worse designed radiator of all.

8. luckystiff

luckystiff

http://www.prchotrod.com/
    custom made to order aluminum radiators built to order. the built to order part is usually the worst side as it typically take 4-6 weeks to have one made. if they don't have a spec sheet for your application they have a custom build form where you spec it out exactly like you want it. not the cheapest but nice. i sold quite a few when i worked at the shop...

9. Clint86

Clint86

Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to look into all of it, because right now I can't do 60 for more than 30 minutes without overheating.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. finn

finn

I have (I think) one of the cheap aluminum Chinese radiators. It looks and fits ok and seems to work fine for my 302. They run in the $200 range.

I'll find out for sure if this damn snow ever stops falling.

11. Aluminum radiators are fine if that's what you want but they sure don't look anything like the original radiator,if cost is the deciding factor I would stick with the copper/brass mustang. HRP

12. Clint86

Clint86

I sure would appreciate that Finn, if it works for a 302 it should have no problem with a 223.

13. Clint86

Clint86

Looking original isn't always all that important to me, I'm more into resto/mods. I like to update the vehicles systems while keeping a stock appearance. Right now it's just been the little things like electronic ignition mod to replace the points, a Dakota digital dash to replace my old burned out gauges, a 3 wire alternator to eliminate the generator and voltage regulator, and a halogen headlight conversion.

14. aircoup

aircoup

aha thanks :cool:

15. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Champion Cooling is making 3 core radiators, they are not in production yet, but doing special orders. They will be in production in the fall. I think under $400 delivered.

Order through Big Dog Performance, or go to Facebook 57 through 60 F100 group.

US radiator had the super cooling copper brass for $550.... Same as LMC that with the over size shipping charge.

The core on these radiators has part of the tank attached so a recore from Modine is $420, that's assuming your tanks are good, but you don't even have them....

Bottom line.... I am in the same boat and isn't going to be cheap to replace...

16. Clint86

Clint86

Well hell, I was hoping to run across a budget solution. Guess that really ain't gonna happen. I'll try a system flush first, if that don't cool me down I'll suck it up and drop the big bucks on a new one. Thanks for all the info guys, y'all have been a huge help with resources and knowledge.