Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods F-1 straight axle front end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdemilt, Nov 14, 2014.

1. rdemilt

rdemilt
    from so florida

I am interested in a 1950 F1 that I found, Its very nicely done, small V8 with a drop straight axle up front, power steering and radials. everything has been replaced i.e. springs, bushings, steering components ext. I'm somewhat concerned as to how it will handle on the highway. I have not driven it, but plan on doing so this weekend. this is the only factor in passing on the purchase, all opinions welcome.

Thanks

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I would be a lot less worried about the straight axle than the location of the new steering box (or rack?) and the quality of work done to install it. It could be perfect or it could have problems at such a base level that no adjusting could fix it. Hard to say without knowing exactly what was done.

Don't accept any issues with steering and take a bunch of pics to post here before you buy it!

need louvers ? likes this.
  3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

They work just fine and there is nothing hard to correct if not! Gary:)

4. aaggie

aaggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you mean the factory axle then it should be fine. Loose bushings, tie rod ends or bearings are easy to replace if needed.

5. I would pass if it had independent front suspension. HRP

6. They drive pretty good if everything is in good condition. Mine has the stock axle, I drive it everywhere. Longest trip so far is 1200 miles.
    Just remember it's an old truck and it won't drive and ride like a modern BMW.......