Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F-1 steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 550Coupe, Apr 24, 2017.

1. I just finished rebuilding the F-1 steering box in my 34' Ford gasser and after installing and making all adjustments I notice that when I turn left all the way from center, it's two full turns. When I turn right from center it's only one and a half turns. Could this be because the steering arm and pitman arm are not equal length? Any thoughts?

Art

2. alchemy

alchemy

Did you find the center before you installed the arm to the sector?

porknbeaner, tb33anda3rd and AVater like this.
  3. the box needs to be centered when the wheels are straight. you need to remove the pitman arm, center the box, the, with the wheels straight reinstall the pitman arm. by design, the boxes are only "tight" in the center position, they gain some play as they get turned off center but since the wheels turned and the stress is in one direction it feels fine. the car will never feel right going down the road if you don't get it right.

AVater likes this.
  4. ziffer

ziffer
    from michigan

If you are using a different year pitman arm you may need to file the indexing flats out so that you can rotate the arm on the shaft so it is centered.

AVater and tb33anda3rd like this.

5. Yes, yes & yes. Disconnected from the drag link, box has four and a half turns lock to lock, but front tires hit the wishbones so I'm really only getting three and a half turns. I've centered the box and had the pitman arm every which way but it always comes out the same. I'm using a 41'' Ford car pitman arm which is 6" center to center. The hoop type steering arm is 5 1/4" center to center (that's king pin to rod end of drag link ). The car steers fine and frankly it's probably been like this since I built the car but never noticed it. It's just got me puzzled.

6. alchemy

alchemy

When assembling at center, the pitman arm should be perpendicular to the drag link, not the ground. Do you need to shorten or lengthen your drag link?

And, if you ever look at a stock Ford spindle with an integral steering arm, you will note it connects to the drag link at slightly forward of center. Basically perpendicular to the drag link (which is closer to center of the chassis at the steering box than the spindle is). Those hoop arms are straight out from the spindle, not forward like Henry intended. Maybe that has something to do with it.

7. I think what you said about the hoop arm might be the answer. To make the front wheel straight the hoop has to be dead center over the axle which may throw it off. I've tried moving the pitman arm to different positions but no difference. I guess I can live with it. It's a drag car Thanks for all the advice.

Art