Register now to get rid of these ads!

F-1 brake conversion question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtracer, Jan 16, 2012.

1. dirtracer

dirtracer

I have a '51 Ford F-2 ( 3/4 ton? ) with 8 lugs. What I need to know is, how do I change the front to disc brakes? I want to keep it 8 lug. Is there a kit I can buy or what from the junkyard work? I am building this thing as a shop truck to pull a trailer and haul stuff around. Thats why I want to keep it 8 lug. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. dirtracer

dirtracer

Nobody? Anybody?

3. i did something like that, except i wanted to retain the 6 lug pattern of my '39 gmc. i removed the drums and backing plates, and found a 6 lug rotor that fit over the hub. the set up i used was from a '78[?] chevy blazer so drilled the caliper bracket out to match the spindle pattern and spaced it to align the caliper. almost a 100k and still working.

4. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Helped a friend do somthing similar to his 4x4.

I worked at a parts store so one afternoon he came in with the hub and we looked up 3/4 and 1 ton brake rotors till we found one that fit over the studs and the outside of the hub. It happened to be a late 80's F-250 that fit the best. Then once the rotors were figured out we went to the junkyard and bought the rest of the stuff of a wrecked truck. The only thing he had to fab was the caliper bracket, but with the rotor and caliper in hand, filling the gap of the mounting bracket was easy.

Start with your hub, go to a junk yard, pick a part, (or good parts store) and start looking for thins that would work. My guess will be a 70's-80's truck from Ford Chevy or Dodge, most of the 8-lug from that time will be the same as your F-2. See what fit and if you have to order some new pats you'll know what to get.

If it helps, the caliper bracket on 3/4 Chevy 4x4 un bolts from spildle so you might be able to adapt it to work.

Good Luck, Jeff

5. kendall66

kendall66
    from iowa

check out speedwaymotors..com i think they have a kit for the truck.

6. I read about someone using the spindles off a 73 ford 1/2 ton on their F-1. I don't remember any details about it. Maybe spindles from the same era 3/4 ton could be adapted to give you disc brakes.

7. dirtracer

dirtracer

Thanks for the info so far!