Register now to get rid of these ads!

F-1 box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by diemywill, Apr 23, 2012.

1. diemywill

diemywill

I did the tardel f1 box to model a flange fabrication.
    Fit in nicely, steering turns but....
    I have a good quarter turn of play left and right, I watch as I turn the wheel and the sector shaft doesn't move from that 10 to 2 section of the wheel.
    I opened the box up, took the pitman arm off and it doesn't appear to have the play problem.
    Leading me to believe that it's in the draglink? I can't figure it out. I tightened the adjusting bolt on the side of the box to tighten it up. Still play. I can't get rid of the play.
    Suggestions?

2. What kind of drag link connections? Tie rod ends? Spring loaded type for ball ends?

3. 117harv

117harv

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

If the sector isn't moving but the wheel is, it's IN the box (that's what she said.) How is the condition of the gears? Check the inside of the case for wear, particularly where the sector shaft exits the gear chamber. Make sure the worm bearings are shimmed properly, if not, the gear/shaft can move up and down slightly and cause play in the box no matter how tight the adjuster is.

5. diemywill

diemywill

Hahah nice. The gears are good, sector rolls nicely, so does the worm.
    The sector does slide in the flange pretty easily, shouldn't there be some resistance to get it in? If it before I tighten the adjusting screw there is a good amount of room for the sector to move around should I weld a sleeve in the flange shaft? So many good jokes in these posts.
    Define worm bearings shimmed properly?

6. NealinCA

NealinCA

I don't understand your question about welding a sleeve in the flange? There are be a pair of bronze bushings that press into the sector shaft housing...

[​IMG]

These should be a very close fit to the sector shaft, so it will just slip in. When replaced, these should be honed to size, as you would a wrist pin or king pin.

Here is a good write-up on adjusting a Gemmer III steering box.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_steerngear_adjstmt1937-48.htm

7. diemywill

diemywill

I see the already existing bronze bushings. I had to hone them out before to get the sector shaft in when I welded the f1 box to the model a flange. The heat must have shrunk the diameter of the box where the sector goes. So I honed too much initially.
    So should I re sleeve or re install new bronze bushings into the section where the sector shaft goes?
    My question before was do the bushings just slide in? Or do they need to be held in place to prevent from moving around?
    Thank you.

8. NealinCA

NealinCA

The bushings are a press fit into the steering box. New bushings are available for a few bucks through most Early Ford supply houses.

Sounds like you need to replace them, then take the steering box to an automotive machine shop and have them hone the new bushings to size so they fit your sector shaft.

Neal

9. alchemy

alchemy

My bushings were not as tight as they probably should be (I also did a flange-weld operation) and was told to use a bit of bushing-type Loctite stuff. I did get them honed OK without it though.

10. The bushings being oversized still wouldn't be the cause of his backlash would it? (learning here)

11. diemywill

diemywill

I already called a shop and we're going to hone it out and re set the bushings. It makes sense why the sector has play, because instead of moving in a circular motion, there is room for the sector to go other directions, up and down instead of circular where I want it to go.
    I turn the wheel left and right, sector goes up and down, pit man arm goes no where, pushing the steering arm.. no where.
    Thank you so much, can't wait to drive the roadster safely.

Here is a picture of it. Just finished building it. 3 month journey from the ground up.

[​IMG]

12. diemywill

diemywill

Bored/honed out the steering box and put a new brass sleeve in, still have the same play. I just can't figure it out. Anyone got anything?

13. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

These steering boxes are very simple, Have you checked the adjustment between the worm and the roller sector ?
    It should be tight with no play in the straight ahead position, and then there will be more slack towards either end of the movement. It is machined this way, to provide a tight feel in the straight ahead, and give some leeway for wear.
    if there is play in the straight ahead, either you have this adjustment wrong, or the worm/sector is too worn to mesh correctly and has to be replaced. The adjustment screw with the lock nut on the end of the sector shaft is NOT the primary adjustment. So many people think cranking this screw will take out play. Wrong.
    If you have a good slip fit between the box and the sector now with new bushes, and you still have heaps of play, you have the mesh between the two primary components wrong, or its really worn out, which should be easily visible.
    I dont Know what else to say, there is no magic inside these things.

14. diemywill

diemywill

I opening the side where the adjustment screw is to see what was going on in there. I turn the wheel, the worm turns and the sector shafts rolling gear spins but the sector doesn't turn for that area of play in the center.
    What is the proper way to have the sector shaft mesh with the worm?
    When I first insert the sector shaft in should it be straight ahead? turned left, turned right? I see that it goes in turn 45 degrees left, right, and straight ahead.

15. NealinCA

NealinCA

Does the sector shaft slide smoothly into the new bushings? With NO side-side/up-down movement? If that is all good now, you can move on to adjusting the box.

First step is to adjust the preload on the tapered roller bearings that the worm runs on. The number and thickness of end plate gaskets will need to be added and subtracted until there is a slight drag felt on the steering shaft. Once that is completed, you can install the sector shaft and adjust that.

To do that, slide in the sector shaft and cover assembly, with the adjusting screw all the way out and the sector in the middle position. Tighten cover bolts. Turn the steering shaft all the way to the right. Make a mark on it and the box. Now turn the shaft all the way to the left and make a second mark on the shaft. These should be about 4-1/2 turns apart. Now count back about 2-1/4 turns to center. You should end up 1/2 way between your right and left marks. This will be the neutral position (car going straight down the road) and this is where the adjustment of the sector shaft is done. Start screwing in the adjusting screw while wiggling the steering shaft. You will feel when the sector roller starts to get tight with the worm. Put the star washer on and tighten the lock nut. Turn the steering shaft lock to lock. It should turn easily with a slight tight spot in the neutral postion. Try one step tighter and one step looser on the star washer until you get the slight drag in the center. This should eliminate your backlash. If not, the worm is worn and needs to be replaced.

Try that and report back.

Neal

16. diemywill

diemywill

Alright sir, everything worked! Thank you so much, I went to the right guy.
    Steering is solid. Any recommendations for the next time I do the f1 box/model a flange combination ?

17. NealinCA

NealinCA

That's great...sounds like you got it all sorted out.

Neal

18. This needs to go in the tech-o-matic! Great info Neal.