Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods F-1 box steering shaft..help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodderbilly, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Hi all my hamber friends,,i'm in the works to change the worm gear on the steering shaft in my f1 ford steering box....someone of you has do this job?what's the best way to change it?I need to heat the old worm gear?and which side comes out the shaft?i need to press from the steering wheel side or i need to press from the bearing side?please reply ...and thanks!!

2. Buckster

Buckster

It is all one piece if it is made like the ones on a '53 F100...

3. Andy

Andy

You can press them on and off. I used a short piece of pipe that fit just outside the bearing surface for support and drove the shaft out. There is a key way built into the worm and the driver needs to be relieved so it clears. I just ground a 3/4" rod down a little and ground a slot on the side. The worm only needs to be driven 1/2".
    I put the worm on by clamping the shaft in the vice and driving it on using the pipe so not to damage anything

ls1yj, rodderbilly and Vegas_Cleaver like this.

4. Hi..thanks for the help,look on my pic,i was trying to do in this way but no good results.....probably is too old the part. ....i'm doing right? 20170325_074015.jpg

5. well ..the worm gear is changed...now i have to change the sector roller.....

6. The pin that holds the sector roller is peened on both ends. You cannot force it out without removing the mushroom from one end. I used a die grinder with a small ball tip to carefully grind the perimiter of the pins end, then pressed it out. I tack welded the new pin on both ends to keep it in place

rodderbilly likes this.
  7. Andy

Andy

That is what I did and regret it. It will be a chore to replace the pin again. Now I would weld straps to the pin to keep it from moving out.

rodderbilly likes this.
  8. That does sound like a better solution. Hopefully I never have to replace it again...

rodderbilly likes this.