Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eye-Candy...HAMB Weekend Art Show!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BARNETT, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Testing 1,2,3...

Attached Files:

2. KnuckleBuster and Autocol...Thanks! I'm still not positive what I'm doing, but the "Save to web" thing helped! Now I just have to really learn how to use it...I might make it into the last part of the 20th century yet. [​IMG]

3. autocol

autocol

basically, as i understand it the web is configured to send a certain number of colours as hexidecimal code. for example, black is #000000... if my calculations are correct there's about 16 million combinations (and hence colours) possible with 6 characters of hexidecimal code (it's 16 to the power of 6)...

anyway, photoshop works with 32 million colours (how your brain can tell the difference i don't know but apparently it can!) so the files don't work very well over the web. if you look in the colour selector in photoshop there's a little (!) mark that appears in the top right corner somewhere, which means that what you have selected is not a "web" colour.

so basically, save for web does two things. firstly, it takes any of the 16 million available colours that aren't "web friendly" and replaces them with the closest avaialable. secondly, and the effect will depend on how much compression you select in the S-for-W dialogue, it takes two colours that are very similar, and just replaces them with one colour, ie less information. the only time you notice this is if you REALLY compress it, and look at something like the sky, with a gradient of colour that loses its gradient somewhat when photoshop starts "sharing" colour data across multiple pixels.

ANYWAY! the net result is that by using S-for-W, you can post a much larger IMAGE in a much smaller FILE!

it's good shit.

hang on, let me take a photo or two, and i'll post an example. sorry for hijacking the art show!

4. autocol

autocol

okay, here's two images i've just taken into photoshop... (you'll notice they're ART, making me only slightly off topic!)...

the first uses save for web, set to low file size (a lot of compression), and is 600 pixels across...

[image]http://users.bigpond.net.au/cfink/Cave-Guy.jpg[/image]

that file is 19 kb. small. ryans server would happily accept it.

the following file, of very similar subject matter (greylead pencil on shitty paper!) is only 300 pixels across, yet is saved with very little compression, and is 29 kb...

[image]THIS WANTS TO BE A RED 'X'[/image]

from our point of view, the quality is very similar (you can see some compression remnants in the paper of the first one), but the first one is less than half the size file-wise...

EDIT: shit... hang on, the second one won't even post for some reason... [​IMG] and i'm trying to look like the expert! typical...

5. autocol

autocol

6. autocol

autocol

are they posting for you guys? all sorts of wierd shit is happening to me at the moment. anyway, dan, i hope that helps you some...

cheers,

col.

7. Empire32

Empire32
    from FRANCE

Tshirt projects...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Autocol...I can see one drawing all by itself, but that's it. Good to see even the smart guys have trouble sometimes.

[​IMG]

Empire...very cool images!

9. nothing new from me...just putting this old one up to see if i can get that `save as web` thing to work

monkey

Attached Files:

10. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

Attached Files:

11. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

... another....

Jonny

Attached Files:

12. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

..a little junkyard scrounging...

Jonny

Attached Files:

13. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

Jason (evilfordcoupe), I'd be glad to put some stripes on a couple more bikes for you...however, I won't be in your area anytime soon. send me an email and we'll see what we can work out.
    Jake

14. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

Attached Files:

15. autocol

autocol

16. autocol

autocol

there we go, that seems to have worked, FINALLY!

you can see in that one the remnants from compression. anyway, it's a lot bigger to look at than the other, but the file size is actually about half.

cheers,
    col.