Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Extra Sheet metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 8, 2018.

1. It's something none of us want to think about? but do you have any extra sheet metal for your hot rod or custom should the worse happens and your involved in a accident?

Grilles,hoods,fenders, etc.

I have most of the parts for the front of my old Deuce sedan and a extra hood & grille for the wagon and I hope I never have to use them and they stay in the rafters of my old shop. HRP

dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess you could call some of that pile of stuff behind the shed as "extra" or spare sheet metal. Last batch of it I bought from a couple of guys outside the gate at a swapmeet who were figuring out how to tie it down. Asked if they had just bought it or had had it for sale, They shot me a price too good to pass up and it came home with me. Hood, fenders, a couple of doors for a fair price.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a spare set of rear fenders for my slantback since they are hard to find in a pinch. I have a hood but would probably let that go.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

No, no extra stuff right now, but I have upgraded tin in the past and sold off the grade B stuff. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Not sheet metal but I’m on the “notice “ list at Drake for a standard grille when it comes available. If I never need it can be sold with the car when I’m gone.
    My thinking is if I bend mine up or someone else should by chance, insurance can pay you but where you going to get one?
    I’d gotten a lead on a fellow that has 3 of them but wouldn’t even acknowledge an e mail from me,gotta move on.

Legends47 likes this.
  6. Sporty45

Sporty45

The only extra part I have is a rear bumper. I need to get the car finished before I start worrying about spare parts!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I have piles of sheet metal for cars I don't own.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

9. i found an extra hood and grill and shell. i painted the hood tops so i can switch it out with the full hood for a different look. DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0002.JPG

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I always pick up extra parts when they pop up. I've never needed them, but it's easier to have them if you need them, instead of trying to find them when you need then and having to pay premium price. My wife is always asking me if I need something when I buy it. I tell her I might need it later.

Texas Webb and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. dan31

dan31

I should buy some so I never need them.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. My philosophy is collect the parts before you need them because the will cost a ot more if you have to have them,if you don't need them you can sell them later. HRP

i.rant, TagMan and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. manyolcars

manyolcars

with a name like many ol cars, you know that I have duplicate cars for spare parts. 2 66 Chryslers, 2 59 Fords, 2 55 chevys, 2 54 Fords, 8 1950 Ford cars, 10 1940 Ford trucks, 11 Model As, 7 Model Ts and a parts car for everything I drive

HOTRODPRIMER and scotts52 like this.
  14. XXL__

XXL__

Also, Murphy's law in reverse... if you have the parts, you won't need them (ergo, nobody wrecked your ride).

dutch deuce and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an extra passenger door, a nose piece and multiple grilles that I might be able to make a presentable grille (at least for me), a pair of stock rear fenders (they weren't wide enough) and I think one front bumper for my 38 Chevy. The Studebaker still needs a decent trunk lid, between three cars and I don't have one trunk lid that's worth a darn. I traded one of the Hawk hoods for a stock 53 hood and I do have either one or two main bodies (Hawk bodies are the same from 53-61 or 62) with doors. Extra glass. If a someone wanted to build a Stude using glass front clip and deck lid I could fix 'em up with a body and frame with a title:)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Have you tried using "I need a backup"?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Or a backup of my backup. Sometimes it's better to have more than one, then you have parts to trade.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Extra grills for my 41 Ford safe and sound hanging on the wall

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Yes , I do have = Grilles, hoods, Fenders . Holding parts for more than 30 years , sold a bunch. try to keep enough to cover potential disasters IMG_0219.JPG

20. indyjps

indyjps

I like it - if I buy spare front and rear bumpers, my chances of getting in a wreck have been lowered. Think I can sell that to my insurance guy.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The big prob. with too many extra parts,is at some point I build them into another hot rod !!!!!
    "One needs too know his limits" was Eastwood going by ?

kidcampbell71 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Nope! no spares, I'm having a hard time gathering parts to complete my 27
    roadster and at the rate i'm going it's going to be a garage queen for a while
    longer.
    Tried going with a glass body, Not that there is anything wrong with glass,
    But went back to steel.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. I bought some glass front fenders years ago, knowing that I lacked the welding and hammering skills to repair the originals. But after a few years, I got better (okay, not good) at these skills, and now I'm going with the repaired oldies but hang onto the glassies just in case. Also got some new hood sides because of the same reason, so extras again.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Extra grille for the 51. They are hard to find not rusted out around here. It needs chrome, but at least I have one.

Extra cab/clip grille for my 54 Chevy PU as well. It was cheap and better than what I already had.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Yes I do and its mostly NOS parts,my 55 sunliner used to be the family car and when it got replaced by a wagon in 68 dad started buying parts for it so he could restore it one day. After he passed away and I got it back out I used good used parts and patch panels to fix it and kept the NOS and used parts he got for a in case of emergency parts stash,I have both front fenders along with a quarter panel and a complete grille and parking lights that I hope I will never have to use but have if the need arises. I have no extra sheet metal for the 37 Chevy p/u.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I've always figured that if you carry adequate insurance, any mishap (including parts) will be taken care of by the insurance claim. It'll be their problem to find/buy suitable replacement parts for the repair. That way I don't have to have 5k wrapped up in wall hangers. (I know; someone will post a pic of somebody that has two dozen Deuce shells on their garage wall just because they can).
    So if your front sheetmetal is wiped out and you just happen to have a cherry, spare front clip in your shed, do you negotiate to sell it to the insurance co. that is going to cover the repairs (so that they'll utilize "your" parts in the repair)? How does that work?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. XXL__

XXL__

You have a very generous view of your insurance company. Their job is to spend absolutely as little money as possible, not return your car to its former glory. Their expectation of part quality and fitment are well below where yours probably are. Just saying.

28. yep, don't rely on them, you have the problem, they have the money. no matter how right you are, they have the money and will find a way to pay out as little as possible.

HOTRODPRIMER and XXL__ like this.
  29. 1934coupe

1934coupe

! have a lot of 33-36 Willys sheetmetal but no cars anymore so it's time to get rid of it. Anybody need it?

Pat

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Then you don't accept the quote as written by their estimator-before they begin repairs. I've been that route before with daily's, insisting on OEM replacement panels (to replace damaged OEM parts). I recently refused a completed job on one of our daily's because the fit, finish and color match were so poor. They ended up driving it back into the shop and had it several more days doing a complete rework and reshoot.

It'd be a bit tough for them to cheap out on a 34 Ford. Do you think they'd try to sub fiberglass fenders and grille for my steel and expect the consumer to say "sure go ahead"?

So if we own great replacement OEM sheet metal spares. How do we incorporate that (sell our parts to our insurance co.) into our repairs?

Or do you settle for a monetary payoff and shop your parts, labor, paint on your own?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.