Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs EXTRA! EXTRA! "Sexy Sadie" Gets a Haircut! Shoebox Hardtop Chop! UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pinstriper40, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as the windows go or the door tops? I'll be welding the door tops to the body and leading everything. The door line at the A pillar will be much like Buster Litton's.

I have no idea how I'm going to do the windows yet besides I'm going to have slide in quarter windows. Thanks for the compliments!

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Moreso the door tops than anything else. The doortop cut at the A-pillar is was annoys me most. Its hard to make it not look forced. Have you put any thought to using Vicky pieces where you can?

3. What about tapering the part of the window frame thats welded to the A pillar to nothing where it meets the top of the door? That way you can avoid that awkward looking step where the window frame is cut off the door.

4. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I do use vicky pieces, I will use modified vicky vent windows and door windows. If anyone has any information on how to do this, please joing the social group "The Hard Tops" and fill me in! Here's a link to the group:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=495

At the B pillar? I know you're good at photoshopping James D- could you photoshop an explanation of what I need to do? That would be greatly appreciated!

5. i might have the chrome/rubber roof to window strips off a 52 vicky , but I doubt the contour is correct...

6. A diagram might be clearer. To avoid that rather obvious cut line - in red....

[​IMG]

...taper the front of the window frame to nothing and lose the kink....

[​IMG]

(I saw this idea in a Harry Bradley sketch and wondered why more people don´t do this)

7. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry James, no thank you. I would if I didn't hate sharp corners. Unfortunately, I hate sharp corners and would rather do like the Cerny bros. did on the Litton car and like what Andreas did. To me, tapering the A pillar like that looks unnatural. Thanks for the input though- any ideas are appreciated!

8. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm looking at installing my '55 Desoto grille like this. I'll have to find a Merc surround first though. Anyone have one to donate to the cause?;):D

Attached Files:

9. Very nice, hard tops are awesome.

10. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks John! You know whats awesome? YOUR MERC! I bet it keeps you awake at night!

11. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

UPDATE!
    I've been thinking about the window situation for the last couple weeks in between homework sessions. I think this is what the window frames will look like... I am also fortunate enough to be able to go to the Gene Winfield metalworking course in Wahpeton, ND this month, so I'm going to bring a voice recorder and have Gene explain how to make the windows.

I kept thinking after the B pillars were gone that I kinda would like slanted B pillars... so this is a compromise between slanted B pillars and hard-topping. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

12. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are a couple of better pictures...

Attached Files:

13. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Keep on i lke se the final result of your shoebox

Will you have rear window lifter? or will you use instick windows ?

/Stefan

14. Swedeshoebox

Swedeshoebox
    from Sweden

15. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will have slide in windows in the rear. Look for more progress in the next week or so!

Thanks Andreas- now that I'm getting farther along into the project, I realize that my car is looking less and less like yours as I had originally planned. Your car was and still is a huge inspiration to the final product! Thanks again for all of the help you've given me.

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Damn thats looking good!

17. i like that side glass treatment.

18. theberg

theberg

FREAKING AWESOME!!!! THATS WHY FORDS ARE <Finest Old Rides Driven> The Berg

19. 68Caddy

68Caddy

20. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! I'm liking it too!

Thank you! Now I have to get it built...

Thanks!

Thanks!

21. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geez, what happened to this thread? :) It's been nearly 5 years!

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

your thread - what did happen?

23. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Life happened! I still have the car, and the chop is 90% done (still need to do windows), but the car is in MN and I'm now in Colorado. I can't believe it's been 5 years already! I will be reviving both the car and this thread in the near(ish) future. I've got a 322 Buick and a '49 Merc overdrive trans to go in this car, and through luck and fortune I haven't been able to sell the car. As a bonus, I work at a salvage yard with TONS of shoebox parts, so I plan on putting a rust-free Colorado floor in the car as soon as I get it here, and prepping a different frame for this body to go on. It'll be September before I get it here, but I've been thinking about the car a lot and I'm ready to get back on it.

SO... I'll just have to finish it, won't I? Good thing Customs aren't dead! Suedes Rule!