Register now to get rid of these ads!

externally regulated Delco Alt ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coupster, Nov 18, 2012.

1. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I guess this is technically HAMB friendly as the original Delcotron was indtroduced mid year 1962. I am converting my coupe from the infamous 10SI to the earlier 5.5"/1D externally regulated version. Everything works good as far as charging goes but the telltale light glows while the engine is running. I use a simple single position ignition switch in the coupe so I have no "acc" terminal. If you look at a GM factory service manual they show a 10ohm 6.25 watt resistor going from the "acc" side of the switch to the ground side of the telltale light, I do not have this for the reason posted above. I wonder if this is why my telltale glows while the engine runs? Anyone got any ideas on how to overcome this problem? :confused::cool:

2. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Well all is well and working as advertized. I had to run a parrallel circuit with the telltale light. I could not find a 10 ohm resister locally so I used a 211-1 light bulb, 13 ohms, which I hid out of sight under the dash. Hope this doesn't reach out and bite me, its getting ever harder to find the parts for these older reliable system, it shouldn't as I used all new bearings and brushes along with a new old stock VR.