Register now to get rid of these ads!

Externally regulated alternator....where to mount the regulator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, May 17, 2010.

1. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I've got a 50 Chevy sedan, and didn't want to spring for the $130 internally regulated alternator, so I got the externally regulated one. I was just wondering, as I'm about to delve into the horrors of automotive wiring, where did you mount your regulator? I'm assuming the firewall, but I'd also be curious to find out where you ran the wires going to it. I'm thinking of buying a wiring book by this Tex fellah that's supposed to be the bees knees, but until then I would like to at least have the alternator hooked up so when I'm testing things out and tuning the engine I don't have to run it off the battery for short spurts and bust ass to get the job done in 30 seconds or less! :p

Thanks! :)

2. EZrider

EZrider
    from Waco, TX

mount it on either the firewall or the fenderwell. closest to the alternator is best, keeps the wires shorter.
    be sure to use the little rubber isolation damper grommets w the mtg screws.
    Also be sure to run a ground wire (16 GA is sufficient) from the regulator to the alternator. They each should have a GRD terminal already.
    There are some cheap (used to be around $18.00) after market regulators to turn the old 10DN's into a 1 wire alternator PLUS being electronic.
    Bob

3. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Cool...thx for the info. In haste, I forgot to mention that I did an engine swap for a 283 SBC...so used to saying it in every thread that I just skipped right over it this time :p

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

ummm. why didnt you get mid eighties gm 65 amp alt?

I get them for 35 bucks each with $10 core from local batt/alt shop.

Oreilly's has them for about the same price too.

5. Diavolo

Diavolo

I was going to say the same thing. I snagged a 12 SI alternator from a junk yard, got a rebuild kit from the local parts store and a diode from radio shack and had a brand new 65 amp internally regulated alternator to put in my flathead. I used a junk yard one because I had to trim the big ear to get it to fit correctly in my flathead bracket and I didn't want to void a warranty.

6. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

This little bit of info helped me out also. Thanks