Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I would love to tag along on one these exploration trips, but why are they always on Mondays?

What about us working stiffs?

2. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Not allways week days,,, The last 2 we had were on weekend days. Keep an eye out. More are coming. If others are interested, we can accomodate. The last hike, we had several that had to cancell at the last second. There were only 4 on the last hike when 7 were rsvp'd. The one good thing about doing this on week days is the less traffic/people on the roads.

3. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Can you post the post# of the post with the truck that was taken?

4. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Post # 34,,looked to be about a 1940 something's Chevy truck? Truck was not dragged away, it was cut up in pieces. Bits of metal with fresh torch marks where the truck used to be.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  5. Mike W.

Mike W.

I used to work on equipment out at the Harqua Halla mine (forgot the spelling) and parts were always getting 'lost' and that was before the economy went bad.

6. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

just got back from the benson car canyon today. from looking at some of the other posts of the place, it most deffinatly looks like some cars have been removed. not sure if you guys have noticed, but on the way into the canyon there are some 40's looking cars burried into the retaining wall
    tim

Attached Files:

7. We'll be hitting the road in the morning! Exploring and seeking adventure. Starting in Surprise, then heading through Wickenburg, on to Yarnell and towad Prescott, Mingus mountain area, Sedona and towards Flag. Not sure how far will will go, it is more important to stop and see what we can find.
    We are bringing cameras, not cutting torches.
    2 cars this time will make the trip, a pair of GTO's- '66 ht and a '67 sedan.
    Looking forward to it.

8. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I wounder what that front axle looks like on that 57 dodge d100, ive been looking for one for awhile. looks like no ones using it.:D

9. RayMiller

RayMiller

If its like the rest of the cab probably not to good but you never know its at the top of the pile. I didn't pay much attention to it when we went in the summer but I might make another trip out the soon and I will check it out a bit closer when we go.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Subscribed. Interesting stories and photographs. I would be terrified of snakes but it is beautiful country.

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Snakes are still out there. Tammy found a 4.5 footer while weeding, Saturday.

12. RayMiller

RayMiller

Luckily it's getting colder so they don't move as quick. But better safe than sorry.

13. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Thats what this is for.

Attached Files:

14. Fenders

Fenders

The Tuarus Judge may be better -- .45 cal and also .410 shotshell.

But don't kill 'em unless you have to......

15. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

My 1911 is just too heavy for taking on a 10-12 mile hike in rough country. This little KEL-TEK is just right. 9mm, lite weight, inexpensive to own & fire. Have not found a snake yet it wouldnt take out. 127 bucks for a brick of a thousand rounds. Whats a brick of 45ACP cost?

16. I found this...but I remember it being in Wyoming, not AZ...sorry but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to post a photo of a 56 Pontiac hardtop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  17. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Wow my eyes are blurry, I just read all 31 pages. What a great thread, just be safe out there folks, as mentioned in one post no one would ever find you in those mines if something happened. Just beautiful country.

Thank you so much for sharing a glimpse into a world many of us will never see.

18. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Always happy to run across another Keltec fan! ;-)

19. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Thanks Guy!! If you are ever down this way, give us a heads up & you can tag along!! We always bring along flash lights, plenty of water, first aid kits, lanterns, etc, etc. Always armed. Lots of critters out there besides snakes. Have Javalina, cougar, Bobcat, bear & a lot of the very dangerous 2 armed, 2 legged kind that call the national forrest home.

20. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

No issues with it yet!! LOTS of LEO's use it as a second carry!

21. y0 ray, lets go to this one sunday soon. we can take my taco out. message me on FB

22. i carry the ruger lcp. i like the slide lock

23. ALS57

ALS57
    from London

Excellent, I've just lost an hour in this thread, love it.
    I took many shots in AZ wrecking yards in the mid 80's, some are on my website if you're interested, mostly in the "prints" section
    Cheers
    Al

24. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Checked out your site. Great pictures. If you are ever back in the states, look us up. We will take you places not everyone see's every day. Lots of out of the way places off the beaten path.

25. ALS57

ALS57
    from London

Thanks folks, not been to AZ for a couple of years now but love the place, passed by many of these places but being a tourist never had time to stop & dig that bit further.
    My 57 came from South 6th st Tucson back in 1989
    Cheers
    Al

26. RayMiller

RayMiller

Haha my 52 has cruise south 6th many times plus I used to work off of 6th and Irvington back in the day!

27. ALS57

ALS57
    from London

:) I had a guy called Frank Johnson just off East 22nd st. paint the car just before driving it to the docks in LA.
    Al

28. RayMiller

RayMiller

Man that's too cool, I've never heard of him but just the fact that you've even been to Tucson shows how small the world is lol.

29. ALS57

ALS57
    from London

Ray
    There used to be great yard which some of my shots are from in the late 80's just south of Davis Monthan air base somewhere off South Arcadia Ave, logging on google I think it's gone now. Frank was into collecting old woodies & bikes.