Register now to get rid of these ads!

exploding oil filter???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppedtudor, Aug 22, 2010.

1. mattlowe

mattlowe

yeah ive seen it a few times while working in a shop where we did ALOT of oil changes

sucks when a customer gets towed back with a blown motor cuz of a bad filter

it was always a randem thing

2. I've used Fram as well as Motorcraft, Wix, Purolator for 35 years and have never experienced an oil filter failure.
    I have experienced a stuck pressure relief valve on a 1970 F600, ballooned the (Fram) filter before it blew the oil filter gasket.

Personally I'm not convinced fram oil filters are bad.

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they are really badly made, also I would assume that engine has a relief valve as most other engines? make sure it's not gummed up or stuck. oil pump is a hydraulic pump driven by the engine, it can generate a LOT of pressure if it's not able to be relieved or a passage is blocked

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 to what he said.

Years ago when we had a lot of trouble with them, the story going around was that Fram decided to put their money in advertising rather then improving the product or maintaining quality control.

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they used to be good years ago, they are garbage now, thats a pretty universal thing. they are basically made as cheaply as possible, do you really want a filter with glued in cardboard, and a plastic bypass valve?

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Personally I wouldn't use a shitty Fram filter for anything ! They don't clean work a damn . As for busting like that , I would guess you have a oil pressure problem . Never seen a Fram do that before . They should be OK for a stock engine but just don't clean good enough for me .
    I only use a Wix racing or K&N oil filter . Those are the 2 best that I know of .
    If there are any better filters out there I would like to know .

Retro Jim