Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Exploded view 1940 lasalle 3 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cerial, Jul 21, 2020.

1. cerial

cerial
    from Michigan

I have a 1940 Lasalle 3 speed I bought at a auction that I want to get into working order. The transmission itself is clean, all the levers work and I can get the rear output to move in neutral.

But the front output is fixed and only turns around 1/8" forward or backward before something is binding. I have played with every combination of moving the levers and I am guessing I have a ball or roller bearing binding.

Before I pop the cover on this I would like a exploded view and some sort of guidance. so I do not drop bearings all over and am guessing on assembly.

I have Cadillac shop manuals (with the supplements) going all the way back to 1952 but not one exploded view of this transmission or a step a step disassembly.

I have a 21st edition of Motors Repair Manual where they took a picture with the cover off and discuss 12 steps of disassembly. But they only briefly talk about the needle bearings and the deterrent balls.

Here is a picture of what a rebuild kit consist of to give you a idea of the bearings involved.
    https://s.yimg.com/aah/yhst-44448601296963/newitem1-89.gif
    http://www.cadillacpartsltd.com/191919calatr.html

I believe this just may be a issue with a shift fork. But if I pop that case and find something unexpected I want to know how to put this back together if I have a incident while taking it apart.

2. squirrel

squirrel

here's the shop manual

http://andrewpullin.org/docs/

as far as things coming apart...it looks like most other transmissions, there are rollers in the cluster gear, so when you take out the countershaft, they will fall out, unless you push in a dummy shaft as you remove it. If they do come out, you just put them back into the ends of the gear, using grease to hold them in place. Not a big deal, really. Also there are rollers between the input and output shafts (main drive gear and mainshaft, if you want to use the correct terminology). same thing, they fall out, you use grease to hold them in place when you reassemble

3. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

4. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

cerial and Tetanus like this.
  6. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Those are 37 but basically the same as 40 with a top shifter. Check your case for a crack through the rearmost bolt holding the cover. This bolt is a retainer for the 1-reverse countershaft and has a pin machined on the end. This is a weak point apparently.

7. Likely the front input bearing is froze. Common issue with these trannies. I would search for a bearing before you tear into that unit. Last time around on one of those it was very hard to find one. Might be different now. Northwest transmission in OH was always a good vendor for old tranny parts. You will cuss a lot at that snap ring on the output shaft. It is a bitch without the proper tool.

Lil'Alb and squirrel like this.
  8. cerial

cerial
    from Michigan

Thank you guys. This is just what I needed.

Paul likes this.