Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical exhaust tail pipes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fenderless Freddy, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Where are you guys getting your exhaust systems? Just not a lot of exhaust shops in my area. So are you going to Professional shops? Kits with bends and straight pieces? I was wondering if anyone sells custom kits for 63 fords that would fit well? Thanks for any input.

Fenderless!

2. Most folks around these parts get them custom built at the local muffler shops. Some do some very nice work.

olscrounger likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on your talent and whether or not your wanting a Riddler Award. I've built systems for all my trucks and my sons dirt super/pro stock car and the went out the right side together. I make major straight slips with stepped 2 bolt clamps I get from Summit and most all the u-bends/j-bends and straight come from Speedway. I get some stepped slip joint from PepBoys. I cut with a 10" band saw and tack under the car with my mig then weld on the bench vice. Mufflers usually are made to slip and clamp.
    I make a template with coat hangers and use my act/oxy unit to do some of it. I do flare one side pipe with a ball peen slightly to make my welds tite. Most is mild steel a painted with BBQ black at the end. I use both clamp hangers and those new style too. Good luck.

4. 'Back in the day', you could find 'kits' for most popular cars. But my experience was it was usually just as cheap to go to a shop and have it done. Same price, they did the work...

These days, if you don't own a popular late-model, what you'll get is a 'u-fit' kit with various straight/bends that you cut up and weld together. With stainless steel exhaust now common, there's not much left of the aftermarket exhaust industry.

5. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Do it your self and get it to sit where and how you want it.
    Couple lengths of straight. a bunch of U bends (cut them in half and get two bends for price of one). Then some hangers & flanges and off you go.
    If space is an issue - either height from road or with other junk under the car then do it your self. Going to the shop to get them to do it will leave you short in pocket and with a half ass job that more than likely will rattle and sit to low or something.
    Just did my exhaust (last pages of my build thread in sig) Took a bit of time at a leisurely pace but its ridged yet tightly tucked up with good clearances.
    Summit do exhaust systems for various cars if you want some thin wall of the shelf setup.

6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I buy U bends, straight and hangers then break out the saws and welder. This one is all stainless under my '32. Bends from Speedway with straight, hangers and mufflers from Summit. Still needs finish welded. Hangers in front of the muffler and just before the tip. Only clamp is the band clamp behind the mufflers (really getting to like band clamps, this one time at band clamp.....). Comes out in 2 pieces per side. Take your time.

Doing the same on my unibody but it will go clear to the back after I decide on mufflers.

SPark

exh28.jpg exh26.jpg exh27.jpg exh15.png exh16.png exh1.jpg

Truck64, Just Gary and Deuces like this.
  7. I bought a "kit" for the OT pickup I'm building........ Then cut it up to fit, just sayin'.

8. Thanks guys, I'm probably going to find someone with a bender. with the mufflers way out back i think there is only two pieces on these Galaxies. should be relatively easy.

9. speedshifter

speedshifter

I strongly recommend Columbia River Mandrel Bending for all bends & straight ex tubing, mild steel & stainless. They have an internet site. Greg

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I made my own on my '50 Ford. Straights and bends off of Amazon. Mufflers from Classic Chambered Exhaust (Powersticks made in MI), parts store clamps and hangers and stainless turn down tips from the scrap pile at work. Get it all tacked, weld 'er up and install.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That reminds me of this one time at band clamp...:D
    Seriously, nice exhaust work!. I used v-bands at the headers, before the mufflers and at the rear axle to make my system easy to remove for plating and for service. Best advice I heard regarding them and it works like a charm, smack them around a bit with a dead blow mallet while tightening them so they seat up without leaks.