Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Exhaust Outlet Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LeoH, Oct 26, 2017.

1. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

I hope it's not too obvious a question, but, I have a flathead 6 engine in a truck and, for appearance's sake, I was thinking about running a pair of straight pipes out, after splitting them under the cab a few feet from the single outlet from the exhaust manifold. Is that going to affect engine performance negatively? I don't expect any upside, I just don't want to learn after the fact that it causes a problem.

Thanks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

no, but it will make folks wonder why your V8 equipped truck is so slow.

3. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

You need to split the manifold. It will sound WAY cooler.

Truck64 likes this.
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

We don't do Y- pipes here. You end up with a funny noise like a drunk moaning in his sleep. Tell us what your engine is - we'll show you how to split it & make it sound nice ...

5. greybeard360

greybeard360

Boy.... The guys with V8's and single exhaust will hate hearing they aren't wanted in here because he has a Y pipe on his car.

I guess I missed seeing that in the rules.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LeoH likes this.
  6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He says he has a flathead 6 in his truck. If you want to split the pipe into a y and run duals to the rear - do it. You don't need the blessing of anybody to do that and I doubt seriously if you will feel any difference good or bad.

LeoH likes this.
  7. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Thanks Gordonic. I didn't think so, but I only wanted to be sure there wasn't some exhaust pressure funk that would affect what little engine performance originally there. As for splitting the manifold, I'm not against that, but first things first, gotta get it back rolling on the road and a proper bed on the back. External appearances are important. Then there's the issue of learning to weld, so, that's something I'll tackle after the rig's working. :)

8. pitman

pitman

Split my 4-cyl just after the rear axle, the larger flow crossection dropped the exhaust note/tone, folks asked, "What's in there?"

LeoH likes this.