Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exhaust Manifolds Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dgc15, Jun 15, 2010.

1. dgc15

dgc15

I put a 350 chevy and a 700r4 trans in my 51 Chevy today. I used Waltons mounts and trans crossmember. They are perfect. Everything bolted in like it was factory. I have the stock front end and steering.
    Has anyone done this? What did you use for exhaust manifolds? It looks like the drivers side is going to be a challenge. I really don't want to use headers if I can avoid it.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Master of None

Master of None

Pictures would help, but i think late gm trucks have rear dump manifolds on the dr's side.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

search button is your friend kimosabee

88-98 chevy 2wd, 78-87 305 ho monte/el camino/malibu/cutlass/regal, ram horn on the passenger side.

4. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

"67-'81 Camaros, '68-'7? Novas might work also..

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We just did this swap. Avoid the "headers" made for this swap, they are mismatched side-to-side, and costly. You have several options, and ALL of them require an exhaust manifold whose "logs" are above the spark plugs. The first and easiest, is to use the early 55-56 SBC exhaust manifolds. The second would be 80's style 267-305-350 style manifolds, primarily found in Malibus and Camaros. The last style, are the ones we used. 94' Caprice "cop car" LT1 exhaust manifolds. They look somewhat like the 383-440 MOPAR exhaust manifolds of the 60's-70's in that they're "upswept", and then dump to the rear. You will have to plug/weld the AIR tube nozzle holes, and probably drill 2 additional holes in them to fit the heads better, unless you already have the 7 bolt exhaust flanges. We also took off the tin covers, and painted them with black BBQ paint. They look and sound good. You do need more clearance around the dumps where the firewall supports are. And sorry, I can't post pics. Butch/56sedandelivery.