Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Exhaust Band Clamps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48FordFanatic, Feb 24, 2015.

1. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Can the stainless steel band type clamps be used to butt-join a tail pipe to a muffler ? Butt-join meaning no slip joint of the smaller pipe inside the muffler.

2. You will first need a band clamp without the "step". I suggest that you have the muffler and tailpipe mounted securely to the frame to prevent any movement that might cause the band clamp to fatigue.

I would rather slip the muffler into the tailpipe for a better seal. Any muffler shop could expand your pipes to create a slip joint.

3. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

These clamps work great. Like 57 said just make sure the muffler is attached to something. I used these on my wagon with success. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424777975.937332.jpg

4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used them on my V8 Corvair project. The engine and exhaust are mounted solidly. The clamps work great

[​IMG]

5. millersgarage

millersgarage

I have them on my '47. they work well

6. This one time........at band clamp

7. Yup! I even cut my header collector flanges off and butted the pipes right up!
    Band clamps eliminated all those pesky leaks.