Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Exhaust baffles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deadbeat, Aug 28, 2017.

1. deadbeat

deadbeat

Okay fellas. I know I will probably get burnt over this, but I have a FE and eight straight pipes and I will be making baffles for them. I'm looking for info on how to make said baffles with pics etc. I did do a search and came up with some links but they are mostly Lake style headers. I'm going straight 8 individual. A lot of the early threads on this the pics have gone. Any info on this will be most appreciated.
    Cheers

2. Try some Motorcycle sites or maybe Dennis Kirk to get ideas or buy outright.

3. What size tube?
    Do you want the baffles removable ?

deadbeat likes this.
  4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When Clark Bates built these headers, he used 1 5/8 diameter washers in each pipe as the baffle. While it seems a little loud, it really isn't

deadbeat likes this.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I made these for some side pipes
    You could just make smaller versions.
    20170428_185834.jpg
    20170428_190231.jpg

deadbeat and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  6. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

IMO, there's no way to baffle individual small diameter header pipes without creating massive restriction to flow. Just using individual pipes alone results in less free flow, let alone stuffing some kind of baffle into each one.

8. Yep,
    Obviously 8 straight pipes is a "for show" thing and one that probably looks pretty cool.
    8 individual zoomie pipes (short) works well with a blower .

prez and deadbeat like this.
  9. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

in my h.s. days, the honda boys used those baffles that basically were washers welded to a bolt. turn it one way, it's passably quiet, turn the other way and you have straight pipes.

deadbeat likes this.
  10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

deadbeat likes this.
  11. deadbeat

deadbeat

Hey guys thank you for your input. It is a FE as mentioned with triple 94's etc. Its old and doesn't really go a diddle and yes they are only for show. I like to make women cry and scare children down here lol. Really appreciate the links as well,, cheers