Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT TRANSMISSIONS BUT WAS AFRAID TO ASK

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 17, 2022.

1. I would love to see a comparison chart by weight. Have yet to find one though.

2. The drag coupe now runs a Rossler full manual racing automatic that is based on the TH350. High stall converter and lightning rod shifter. Its fun, can handle a ass load of HP and consistent on the track. So far I have not broken it.:eek: I installed it last winter.;)

3. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

Sounds familiar, Dad showed me how to go through an old saginaw grinder box after I split the case in a full syncro 3 speed that was in my old '50 business coupe. I was 19.

4. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am working on the old coupe 9" 3:50 gear (57 Truck) with a rebuild 283 Power Pac heads RV cam the last part is the transmission. I have a 62 Chevy T-10 10 1/2 inch clutch that matches the early Vette set up. The thing is I have other transmissions PG/350/400 and I am not too sure I want the 4 speed set up? I am thinking it may end up being too much the old joints seem to be getting too old! Always a tough decision.
    My other car is a 27 T coupe with a 60 390 Cad and Saginaw 4 speed 8" 3:00 limited slip.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I did a 5 speed behind the 283 in my 28 Tudor in my avatar. I’m about ready to trade for one with an automatic . 5 speeds were fun 30 years ago!

6. I’ll get the tar and feathers. lol

Ned Ludd likes this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

That’s why I like 6 speeds. o_O

8. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I don't know.....

9. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Consider it a form of aerobics to keep your heart healthy. Your other leg has to do both the brake and the gas anyway. No body ever complains about having to step on the gas pedal too much............:p

chryslerfan55 and Ned Ludd like this.
  10. Got a 351W and mating it with an AOD, but looks like I'll have to find a 4r70w to yank the guts out - reverse drum, gears, etc. - to build something sturdy enough for a one-ton truck. It's got a 5.14 Rockwell rear end, so I need the od, otherwise mezzo soprano on the highway.

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd