Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Everybody's got a Dream...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Dec 1, 2009.

1. I have some of the on-board fire equipment the bottle has the push button discharge and I have the assorted nozzles for the dispersement for the engine and drivers compartment fairly reasonable if you're interested

Basically all you'd need will need is a extinguisher recharge and 3/8 aluminum lines.

The rest of the equipment "Is Costly" but it shouldn't be compromised in lieu of your ultimate Safety.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Well said. It's simply the price of playing, just budget for all that stuff so there are no surprises later.

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I hear ya fellas...burning is nasty.

4. Hmmm...oranges and alcohol. Sounds like a "screwdriver" to me! :)

I'm in for a t-shirt when they're ready. XL in black. It's all I wear.

5. brady1929

brady1929

i want an XL in white please

6. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

The front wheels & tires are sitting here , waiting for my T shirt Art ;)

7. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

What Dave said. Once you learn to tune a Hilborn you will throw rocks at carbs. Blown alky does increase the safety equipment involved but I think is worth it both for power made and visual impact. You will need a cooling system. Injected light unblown car (like my dragster) maybe you can drive back to the pit, but that blower will make a bunch of heat and you will need some water flowing thru it. I recently helped with an unblown coupe that switched from carb to stack alky injectors and thought we could get away with no radiator, but were wrong. The drive to the lanes and back to the pits were too much on it and that was without the heat of the blower. As far as the oil changes, Amsoil has a new product out made just for blown alky motors and you can get much better longevity out of it that the 3 or so passes I did with my straight 50 Valvoline racing oil. If you do not run better than a 9.90 I wll be sorely dissapointed. Build the chassis to spec even if you do not think you will go that fast.

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Jeff, not sure how I missed this one...looks like you have another winner in the works.

9. coupemerc

coupemerc

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="PowerPoint.Slide"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft PowerPoint 11"><!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} p\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} v\:textbox {display:none;} </style> <![endif]--><title>Slide 2</title><meta name="Description" content="12/3/2009"><!--[if !ppt]--><style> .O {font-size:149%;} </style><style media="print"> <!--.sld {left:0px !important; width:6.0in !important; height:4.5in !important; font-size:103% !important;} --> </style><!--[endif]--><o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"></o:shapelayout><o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"></o:idmap>
    The best advice that I can offer on the fuel system is to pick one guy as your consultant and do exactly what he says only. Do not tune by committee. It’s okay to listen to what others have to offer but only do what your consultant says. If he ever proves himself wrong, then it’s time to do what someone else recommends.

The down sides of using methanol are:
    Your engine will require at least twice as much fuel volume compared to gas. This means a larger fuel pump, lines, nozzles, tank and fuel tank vent.
    Methanol is corrosive. Your fuel system will need to be materials compatible. Bare aluminum should be anodized. Unused fuel should be removed immediately from the tank. Pump should be lubricated with mystery oil when you get home from the track. You may want to add upper end lube additive to the fuel.
    Methanol fires are invisible in daylight so you need to be careful about leaks, fuel splashing on hot headers, etc. A blown methanol combination may require upgrades to the cars fire extinguishers and a suit with more protection especially when you sit behind the engine. Check the rule book.
    Methanol is extremely hygroscopic and is always trying to pull water out of the air. You’ll need some good sealing jugs so the stuff does not go bad on you.

The up sides of using methanol are:
    It’s relatively easy to tune. Has a much wider tuning “window” compared to gas.
    Can run as much compression as mechanically possible.
    Nozzle diameters are typically larger and are less likely to clog.
    Tends to cool the intake charge.
    Engine can be made to run cool at idle. Even without water.
    The exhaust smells cool.
    Most importantly…it can make tremendous amounts of power normally aspirated and insane amounts of power blown (even when overly rich).

How quick do you want to go? A stack injected, methanol combination will easily put that drag roadster of yours in the 9‘s. Easily. A blown, methanol combination has the capability of being way too much motor (if there is such a thing) but could be calmed down with blower speed , fuel mixture and timing.

</p:colorscheme>

10. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

coupemerc: I couldn't agree more with your statement relating to "tuning by committee". Some 13 years ago I had a few issues with my blown and stroked 409. Well it wasn't long before I threw out all the advise, half which turned out to be wrong, and started all over. Even when you listen to the "expert", I blew my motor up (blown 392) in my drag car, due to the "experts" advise and combination of parts I purchased from the "expert" was wrong !!!

H.G. Wells: Very correct relating to a blower with hotter operating temps, therefore; using a rad in the hot rod which will allow driving the car around without the use of a tow vehicle. One track I attend, the trip on the return road is very long as I ran out of fuel once. Trip back on the retun road is almost the best part about attending that particular track.

hog mtn dave: What else can be said,Mr. Cox is my idol running the perfect car.....

wingnutz: Couldn't be more true for the safety issue.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  11. autobilly

autobilly

Super cool Jeff! Can't wait to see it done, the renderings look fantastic.

12. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

As always,your artwork is top shelf! I'd like to have those framed and hanging in the shop. Great stuff,man!

13. we don't need no stinkin wheelie bars.......looking forword to the day you mark me down on your cowl....( that means I think it will be faster than high 10's:cool:)

14. Well Jeff, your artwork is superb and your vision for this roadster matches.
    It will be a pleasure to see this thing come to life....

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

16. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Very cool concept, I love everything about it.

Here are my thoughts:

The Radir pie crust slicks look cool but wont work with that much power IMO. Littleman seems to be the only guy that had limited luck. I'd recommend using a modern wrinkle wall slick. The M&H 12.00-16 Nostalgia slicks would be perfect.

I wouldn't even consider running anything but injected methanol. If you run blown gas, you're probably going to have cooling problems. With alky, you can run a very minimalistic cooling system and never have to worry. Especially if you are running a rear radiator. Hide a small electric pump under the car and a small cooler. I run a tranny cooler on my 55 for a radiator and I can drive all over without building much heat.

We all know alky can be corrosive, but I think some are overly cautious. I've left alky in my tank and lines for a couple weeks with NO issues. A lot of serious racers I know dont drain their fuel systems between weekly races.

I run a stack injector and it's real easy to pull 8 nozzles and spray some carb cleaner and air through them before running. I do lubricate the pump when it sits for long periods.

I really like the engine set back without the radiator up front. It will be very easy to run a front mounted fuel cell like a Moon or Eelco tank. It will be super clean without the usual clutter.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  17. "All cooling systems/radiators must be installed in the stock location for body style used. " NHRA general regulation 1.1.

Don't forget the buttons to shift that 727!

Top tune on a blown 392 will push that thing into the 8s without a problem. Backing off the blower will likely let you run low 9s consistently, which is a good number for rules and safety gear. But they do require a diaper and blower restraints, and a ton of other SFI stuff on a 2 year inspection, but you'd need that to run 11s or 8s regardless.

I don't think there is anything cooler than that single black rubber line running up past the blower belt from the pump to the barrel valve on a 4 hole injector, terminated with the brass and aluminum crimped fittings. A detail I see you've included.

18. All good thoughts.....but Shakey lives in a Dry climate and is a serious racer..I would be a little more cautious with the alky in wet Canada....that being said, I too would run the alky if your going blown....even if you take the alky out after every race ( you should) the amount of time you spend will be miniscule to the time required to constantly tweak 6 or 8 twos......If your building a show piece that you will play with at the track every once in a while...go gas with the 6 twos and the radirs.....just keep it safe and fun which ever way you go!

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

The "O Rang O Tang"....

thats funny!
    Thanks for all your input guys.

20. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Hey Jeff here's that pix I want you to use It would also look badass in your ride:D

Attached Files:

21. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

22. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

i'm really excited to see some work in motion. everything sounds and looks perfect!

23. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Go......Jeff......Go !.............I just fired up DeathsDoorStep yesterday w/ the six highly modified polished 94's I was running on the Truck towards the end of this year..........It's bad ass.I was really impressed....huge difference from the six fairly good carbs that I had on it........I am going to start cutting on two more carbs to match the other six and put the eight two setup on it..Throttle response is evil............Run what you want.......you run with a great group of guys that know what their doing if you go the alky route and now the rules to keep you safe.......It does not matter what you run....It's the time slip that counts ! ha ha ha.......Have fun and let me know if I can help out with anything...I like runnin the old carbs because nobody really expects much when they see me up at the line the first time......Then I use to let the Truck tell the rest of the story...............Build it......but ''Beware..a Bad Addiction may result from it !''..........Dave Littleman Lohr

24. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

Jeff, The concept pictures look terrific!!!
    It should be a great drag car. I'll bet it'll be a blast to drive.
    You won't need a ton of power to run pretty quick with a car like that. I think the reliable, low maintenance route is a good way to go.
    I can't wait to see this one come to life!

[​IMG]

25. 65 impala

65 impala

xtra large t shirt also for me

26. If there were a model kit with that artwork on the box, you'd sell a million.

27. bogart62

bogart62

28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

4x please for me

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Keeping this one near the top for the afternoon crew.

Frank

30. Missing one thing... a Blown Olds!!! Hahaha...!