Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical evercoat plastik honey

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonMoldy, Jul 16, 2016.

1. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Can I use this stuff to thin my evercoat body filler to use the thinned out body filler as a glazing putty?
    [​IMG]

2. Kind of. It will thin filler but fillers and putties use different talc so it will not be exactly the same as putty. It will still be more porous like a filler. Putties are designed to have a denser surface to them so they don't absorb the solvents in primers as readily as fillers do. So if you are just looking for a thinner formula it will work fine if you are looking for it to perform like a putty in other ways it will not.

And this might seem like an obvious thing but add the honey before you add hardener.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    timwhit likes this.
  3. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Ok I guess I will go with a glazing putty. I have a new gallon of filler and the putty is very expensive I figured I could thin down the filler and use it as a glaze. Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer!

4. Are you just doing spot repairs or painting a whole vehicle? If you are doing a whole vehicle and then priming the whole thing don't worry about using putty. It is really more of a collision industry thing where speed and having zero issues while doing things quickly is important. For a guy working at home you will probably not notice a huge difference. Just make sure you give any primed areas enough time to fully dry.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. All it is is resin....filler and glaze have different ratios of talc, resin, etc

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've found it did not work right when I tried this. It doesn't seem to sand correctly with the smoother grits, like glaze or icing does.

7. 333tinman

333tinman
    from MASS.

Pretty sure this was for plastics that needed more for one reason or another . have used it for that .

8. It doesn't sand "right" because you have increased the amount of resin in the product and changed the ratios of resin to talc and microspheres and resin is the hardest thing to sand of the three. You have also diluted the other additives that are added to help with sanding and adhesion.