Register now to get rid of these ads!

ever wondered about a y block in a 41~48 ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yblockhead, May 28, 2011.

1. yblockhead

yblockhead

So it fits pretty easily.
    essentially the y block was designed to replace the flathead, so it goes in the same spot. some major change points:
    1) the front of the oil pan, beneath the timing chain, needs to be notched about 4 inches up and back ( for a rear sump pan) doesnt really effect anything rotating, but you need to use the rear dipstick position.
    2) the alternator needs to be moved above the stock v-bracket. you can see what I did in the pictures.
    3) exhaust is a problem. i used fender well headers from a '53~'56 f series truck.. available on the internet. these clear the tires easily , and allow mufflers under the running boards.
    4) i used the truck timing cover, the other covers might give you sightly better pakaging up front. you can put side mounts in, but the steering box doesnt necessarily allow that so easily. I used the front motor mount with some 2" angle iron and some biscuit mounts to the original mounting spots. clears pretty well.
    5) a ph8a oil filter just clears the stock steering box by about 1/4" longitudinally. this is plenty of fore and aft clearance. the rotational clearance is ok too.
    6) i reused the road draft pipe and filter. it needs to be cut down to clear the lowered front suspention ( axle specifically)
    7) i think a lot of radiators will work, as long as they are narrow enough. it needs to be dropped between the frame rails to get enough room for a lower radiator hose radius from outlet to water pump.
    8) i used the stock truck bellhousing with ears and mounted it with 2 more biscuits to the original x frame. didnt have to cut anything but a small 1" notch to clear the T-5 trans.

hope this helps somebody!

Attached Files:

2. yblockhead

yblockhead

oh yeah.. and you need to use a BBC fuel pump block off to seal up the pump mounting hole. works fine, same bolt pattern. the original fuel pump will not clear the cross member in this position. did not touch the firewall or frame ( except for the t-5 notch) anywhere.

3. We need more Y blocks..............nice job.
    I like them ugly trucks, got pictures?

4. Mart

Mart

Nice work - I'm doing a similar job on my 41 pu. Any pics of the engine mounts?

Mart.

5. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Nice fit,thanks for the pics!

6. choptvan

choptvan

HELL YEAH!! Looks real good in there!

7. yblockhead

yblockhead

mart, you can see the front mount if you search on earlier threads by me. the rear mounts are just repurposed SBC frame mounts bent to the bellhousing ear angle. let me know if you need a pic of those....

8. Mart

Mart

Thanks for that, I checked it out.

I, too, moved the engine forward from the Hurst positioning. (41 pick up wip)

A question after reading your Buick Piston thread - I sort of assumed the pistons would be level with the deck at TDC but you state they should be .040 in the hole. I have a short block here where the pistons are down in the hole a bit, and I assumed there was some sort of assembly error - sounds like they are probably right if they are supposed to be .040" down at TDC. Does this sound right to you?

Thanks for the informative posts.

Mart.

9. ecode ragtop

ecode ragtop
    from illinois

Y-blocks forever

10. yblockhead

yblockhead

the stock y block pistons would be .040 " in the hole. the problem with that is the original head gaskets were only about 0.013". when you apply a modern 0.040 " head gasket, it lessens the squish ( knock margin) and the compression ratio by a 1/3 point. the buick pistons are flush in the hole, and keep the factory squish with the modern head gasket.....