Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever wind up with a lot more to do than planned?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

What started out to be a relatively small rust repair is turning out to have me well on my way to a full paint job, LOL.
    I was planning to patch some rust above the rear window on my wagon and found the back windows have to come out to do it.
    At this point the car is nearly stripped and I have some rust free parts on order from out west (we will see, it is my second try at replacements). It looks like it will take the whole winter but it will help it go by faster. As usual my goal will be to have it back on the road in time for summer and Back to the 50's
    oh well, I guess I really knew all along it was the way to go if it was to get done as best as was possible for me to do.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

i think thats the way it always goes:)

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

4. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

If I ever just did what I originally set out to do, I would be driving my Plymouth right now.

5. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

"Ever wind up with a lot more to do than planned?"
    Uh, yes I have had that happen once or twice in my life. Damn near every project that I touch bites me in the very same fashion.
    It stems from a couple of things, usually, I see what I want the (whatever) project to be. Doing anything half-assed is simply not acceptable. Do it right or put it away until you have the time/tool or talent.
    Have spent the evening making a part using the metal lathe. Making this part which will then become a part for a jig to make yet another part on the wood lathe... to make a part for the ..... Yes. It has happened more than once. I'm ok with that.
    Be proud that you are doing it properly. Ain't it great !

6. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

it happens every time i even look at my car, i could turn installing a dashmat into a frame off restoration. the extra work just means you are doin it the right way and not half assed, your car thanks you.

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

friend of mine was just going to have his 57 BA fixed where he'd gotten a blowout and kind of banged up the fender till he was able to pull over. Took it to a bodyman of note up in the great NW and by the time the little repair job was done...there was about 40 lbs of old bondo on the floor, several pieces of perforated sheet metal that had been fairly well covered over....so much for THAT 'weekend project'.

dj

8. Gerg

Gerg

my rambler was like that but it's cool i needed to learn some fab skills anyways

9. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

All of my projects start out with the best of intentions, then the gremlins get wind of it and WHAM money is being spent, time is flying by!
    A budget will go out the window, things break, parts get lost or taken by the gremlins, injuries occur, a disaster is beginning to take shape....... OH THE HUMANITY!

10. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

11. Working on old stuff is always like that, doing one job creates another five. All the same if its old cars, old houses, or old whatever - everytime you uncover something you uncover something else that needs fixing or someone elses stuff up or dodgy repair that needs fixing.

As long as you are not on a tight time frame its all part of the fun and an opportunity to do it right!

12. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Mine all stemmed from a cold Dr. Pepper whilst sitting on a 5 gallon bucket staring at my truck getting the plan in my head for the "Quick" 1 year tear down, polish, paint and reassemble....that turned into a section, which turned into finding major rust damage I didn't know about....I'm in it for bout 2 years now....prob nother year to go....

Yeah I can relate....see my build in my sig line.

13. Only if I wake up in the morning.

14. 3onthetree

3onthetree

"Ever wind up with a lot more to do than planned?"

Yep, many years ago a friend of mine had just bought a used Chevelle and asked me if I would put a new cam in it for him over the weekend. I said sure without even seeing the car.
    The cam swap kinda snowballed into a 3 year project including bodywork, paint, and redoing the interior. :eek:

15. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

16. ironpile

ironpile

Save the holes and replace the metal:D

17. Yup. I drove my Chevy into the garage just after I got it 4 years ago to do a few little things to it over the winter. I am planning on painting it early next year and driving it again this summer. I hope.

18. historynw

historynw

Yup my simple paint job turned into a 4+yrs rebuild....how did that happen.

19. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

I guess i knew the answer but wanted to hear it wasn't just me. It will continue to be a learning experience. thanks for the comments.

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a rhetorical question, right?

21. deuce354

deuce354

This lesson no only applies to cars, but just about everything you attempt in life

22. RacerRick

RacerRick

You could say that I found more than I planned to do in my 55 chevy.

[​IMG]

23. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Yes, everytime i buy a car. Doin it now with my wifes new one.

I saw on an ebay "has some minor rust. Could repair or drive it as is" Which loosely translates to "Needs rockers, and lower quarters replaced"

24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

This is a rhetorical question, right?

Yep, it is.
    It also confirms that every time i violate the "no rust buckets" rule it talkes way more work than i let myself imagine! Too late to turn back now, and i do in general like a challenge.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  25. historynw

historynw

The shop that will be doing my car interior had a flat fin long roof in for a complete interior miles of red carpet and red & white seats. I think it came from Conn. it was a total rebuild too.

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Pretty much every dam time

27. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

I usually plan on doing a frame-off build. Bought a driver recently that was for driving, but it turned out to be much more than planned. Oh well, it sure beats watching reality TV.

28. bobscogin

bobscogin

There are no small rust repairs.

Bob

29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

That is for sure, much better for the mind, body and soul.

30. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About twenty years ago a magazine called "Old House Journal" coined the phrase "the mushroom factor" to decribe this process. You start out to fix one small thing and in the process find two more things, fix those two and find four more, soon the project has "mushroomed" into a complete renovation.