Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever weld the rear doors to make a 2 door shoebox?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56KUSTOM, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Squablow

Squablow

If you have a severe lack of bodywork skills, you won't be able to chop it. That is a job for an experienced metal man. A proper 2 door conversion is an easier job (or at least, comparable in difficulty) to a top chop.

If the car is solid, just fix it up without touching the roof and doors for now. Get it running, locate missing parts, make it a driver and learn some metal work skills. When you're ready, you can make it into the chopped 2 door of your dreams, but start slow.

The biggest mistake first-time builders make is planning a huge build on their first time out. Take it slow and learn how to do it properly before you go all crazy, the world doesn't need any more cut-apart and abandoned projects.

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I could see it work... probably if there were no opera windows to deal with. And especially if you wanted to lengthen the front door a little, too. Gary

3. smithy1

smithy1

back in the day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is still in my shed in need of a serious chop...

4. indyjps

indyjps

4 door to 2 door conversion - if youre not going to do it right and use regualr size 2 door front doors - dont do it, it just doenst look good, entry to the rear seats sucks, it is difficult to sell.

5. If you can't do bodywork then a conversion may be a bit over your head. Your best bet is to find a stripped two door and transfer the good parts from your four door to it.

6. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

7. sbaker

sbaker

8. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Shave the rear door handles? Kinda looks unbalanced don't ya think?

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

10. sbaker

sbaker

11. Erixon

Erixon

As others have said; it just won't look right. I have a '56 Chevy 210 4 door, and I considered the very same thing awhile back, then quickly decided against it. I shaved all 4 handles instead and it looks good like that. 4 functioning doors with a slightly smoother look. Convert to a 2 door the right way or it'll just look weird.

12. Erixon

Erixon

I also removed the bent, warped side chrome along with the 4 handles and filled it all in. Looks good that way. Something you may want to consider. It certainly looks better than welding the rear doors shut, and much less work of installing/converting into a 2 door.

It's my hot rod grocery getter. :)

Not the best angle, but you get the idea...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always thought the 49-51 Fords in the 2dr sedan style already look like 4drs with the rears welded in. Now a shoebox cpe, we're gettin somewhere. Here's a 2dr. See what I mean?

Attached Files:

14. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

15. 55nailhead

55nailhead

I also agree with Stude_trucks Thats a pretty wild exotic custom if you ask me.
    If it came from some big name customizer you all would be whistleing a different tune. I bet

16. I was thinking the same thing!

17. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Let's see the masterpieces that you're working on. They must be really good.

18. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

19. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

20. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Nope, doesn't matter who builds what, ugly is ugly and ya can't change that!

21. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

When did he ask for your opinion? Maybe you should take some of your own advice.

Why do you feel such the great need to crap on someone else's hard work?

23. robleticia

robleticia

its not a ford, but i just shaved the handles and I think they look great like that!

Attached Files:

24. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

no, not since a kid, i went to highschool with, did that to his nissan sentra ricer...the proportions were all wrong...plus, he left the rear inside door handles intact

LAME!

25. roddinron

roddinron

26. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Cool '56. I like that you shaved all the door handles, not just the rear.

[​IMG]

27. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I turned this 57 chevy into a2 door. Worked out ok. In fact he has several trophys as a 2 door. LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

l also lost the driver side rear door on this Plymouth. Now its a three door. Id say go for it. Give it some thought and think out of the box. Maybe a post angle change might do the trick? Either way its a lot of work but it can be a way to achieve a unique stylish look. Heck anyone can play it safe and make it like it supposed to be. :D on this one I stretched the front doors 6" and shortened the back door 6" to give it that long tudor look. Most people aren't familiar enough with these Plymouth's to know what I did. Kinda of fun to watch them scratch their heads.

[​IMG]

29. 55nailhead

55nailhead

I agree