Register now to get rid of these ads!

ever use GOLF BALLS inside your tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pug man, Feb 16, 2011.

1. TX

TX
    from Spring, TX

The only time you don't want a "hole-in-one"

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

somehow the saying "racing,,, cause golf is for pussies" comes to mind.

3. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

FNG chiming in.. glad to see a thread spark up here..! I have an offroad rig with 36" swamper bias.. after sitting, they do have a flat spot but once they warm up, they are smooth as silk. They are on beadlocks, they have never been balanced. I have heard of folks loading the tires with ballast. Some for balancing, some for actual ballast to keep the center of gravity lower for rock crawling. There are adapters to fill tires with water through the valve stem as well. I think there is some debate about this whole ballast thing but golf effing balls??? What about muffins? Dice? Sneakers? wadded up fortunes from fortune cookies? Strippers panties?.. I'll stop.

4. Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi

i would go with dice and stripper panties, that seems like a good combo. haha

5. ^^ you can say fuck here. you said stripper panties that kinda goes hand in.... oh nevermind :D

6. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Back in 2002 i was driving for a trucking company in Iowa and had to bring my truck in because the front end started shaking.When i picked it up from the shop i asked what was wrong with it the guy in the shop said a golf ball had come apart in the tire.This company did strange things so it would not surprise me if they tried it.

7. historynw

historynw

I think I'd get tee'd off with the noise eventually.

8. box50

box50

I belive a golf ball go's from zero to about 100 or 135 miles an hour in just a little over a second, That would really help the flatty LOL:eek:

9. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

A couple of years ago I bought 4 new tires for my OT pickup at a big local tire dealer. Paid plenty to have them "balanced." Couldn't go over 50 without them bouncing. Started pulling weights off until finally got all the weights off all the tires. No weights, 75+ without a sign of a shake. Sometimes it is better to leave them alone. Most of the time the need for weights is caused by the person doing the "balancing."

10. mow too much

mow too much

Kinda sounds like an ''old timer'' sending a kid after a muffler bearing.:D

11. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

12. No, a pitching wedge if its a golf ball.

Does golf ball quality make any difference would Titleist be better than some off brand?

If I wasn't building a show car (AMBER contender) I would probably stick with weights. I suppose that the theory behind it is good and I do know that some of the fellas have tried the balance beads with good success.

They big trucks used to liquid balance. I know that there was some liquid stuff we tried on the flat trackers when I worked for Hap. It seemed to work as well as balance weights, but that was dirt bikes and the ride was pretty bumpy anyway.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  13. yblock292

yblock292

1 oz. of number 9 shot works like a champ, check out my thread on doing it.

14. Wait..Wait ..Waait....Why not put a bowlin ball in drag slicks , then when yer on the line the ball stays at the bottom to add traction.....and as the tar starts spinnin' ,the ball rolls on the bottom and you have traction down the track...if the golf ball thingy works...why not a bowlin ball ??
    Oh well , the med cart is coming down the hall
    Later
    Stan

15. erock805

erock805

Use equal bags on semi wheels with truck tires. No weights. They absolutely work.

16. I have been a truck driver for over 40 years and have seen alot of things that people have tried to try and extend tire mileage. Adding golf balls was a common practice back in the day. The main drawback is the wear on the inside of the casing, they will wear a groove on the inside of the tire. I drove for a guy that would add water mixed with anti-freeze (so it didn't freeze) and it worked very well but would piss off the tire repair guy's because they had to clean up the mess to get a patch to stick. Prior to the beads being developed, they tried using a pouch with sand but that would create a problem because once the bag broke the sand would clump up due to the moisture in compressed air. Balance beads also leave a lot to be desired as they tend to bunch up. I run balance rings (steel ball bearings inside a ring) on my Pete but I have never seen them for a automobile. These mount between the hub and the wheel. I think that a high speed balance (with the wheels on the car) is the best answer. My 2 cents...

17. I work on a fleet of vehicles mainly i do the busses and trucks
    i was talked into using the beade in our touer MCI Bus. They take about 20 miles to settel in at first
    Every time you stop they have to re settle in. It does not take as long when warm but this is anoying on this motor coach
    I ballance all bus tires with a high speed strobe light much better
    i also use the on car strobe light on our church road vans
    i have tried all kinds of bolt on, pore in and drop in ballancing things
    most do not work as good
    as fore the Golf Balls HOW DO YOU GUESS HOW MANY and they gota tear up the liner inside
    Do it wright have them spun on the vehicle or a good computer ballance
    and do not forget to calabrate it

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  18. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Now your thinking. The ball will work like a flywheel, once you get past inertia that sucker will keep going.

19. As soon as I got my car on the road I had wobble/vibration issues. Went through both axles, components, alignment, etc. After I got everything heathy I went after my Firestones. Two of those tires were both out of round and had a slight wobble to them. We shaved the tires and 90% of my issues were gone.

I then went after the remaining vibration with Dyna Beads. I pulled all the big weights off my wheels, talked to the Dyna Bead folks and introduced the beads into my tires. Problems solved.

Now my rod rides nice with no vibration. Those beads work great, and I will never go back to spin balancing and wheel weights again.

20. I think tennis balls would be more associated with a RACKET.

Bob

21. Toner283

Toner283

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486036

Worked for the boss. Good enough endorsement for me.

22. Dakota Boy

Dakota Boy
    from Racine, WI

O'Brien Tire in Racine has one of those ancient tire-shaving machines.

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

#11-If the golf balls in your tires put your car in the rough, you still gotta take a 1 stroke penalty!

24. silent rick

silent rick

does this remedy only work on tubeless tires or will it work inside tubes?

25. 39Dodge

39Dodge

How would you like to be next to a big rig at highway speed when a sidewall lets go and starts firing golf balls at you?

26. BJR

BJR

27. silversink

silversink

Gives new meaning to Balls Out

28. Its really amazing what can be learned "scientifically" on the HAMB......

29. 21tat

21tat

Everyone is a comedian these days. Too funny!

30. One unspoken stipulation is that this may only work on cars equipped with "wedge" engines.

I know,that's really bad.