Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ever use a "Powertrain" reman engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southerncad, Nov 9, 2019.

1. southerncad

southerncad

Looking into a 403 Olds to replace the tired 350 Olds in my '49, was wondering if anybody has used a reman engine from Powertrain Company. The price is good as is the warranty. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

2. evintho

evintho

3. Your the first person I ever heard of who wanted a 403.

4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have experience with them and wouldn't use them again on a bet! I bought a remanufactured engine for an off topic SUV. First engine lasted maybe 2000 miles. Second engine even less. Third engine is still in vehicle and running acceptably. Here is the problem. Both times they failed it was sheared cam bolts on the overhead cam gears. First driver side, and then passenger side on the second replacement engine. I installed the first engine to set this vehicle up for my daughter so it would be reliable and then drove it 1000 miles to deliver it. I was that far away when the second and third engines were installed, which I had to foot the bill for. So, for close to $3K for the first engine, $1600 for the second engine install, and $1600 for the third engine install I am into their shitfull products to the tune of about$6500 before I got 1 engine that actually runs. They won't cover the cost to install regardless of cause, they won't refund your purchase price so you can go your way with another vendor. They did send me two other engines under warranty but not before a third party mechanic inspected it to find the failures.

vtx1800 and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. killbilly

killbilly

checked into getting a reman 4.7 dodge ram engine .....no way

6. Doesn't sound like a place that I would care to deal with.

5window and GordonC like this.
  7. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I can’t speak to power train engines warranty. But at the garage I work at we put in a lot of reman engines and transmissions. If you read the fine print in any of the reman company warranties they basically state that if anything goes sour - you have to return the unit to them so they can perform their own autopsy.
    Then they can either decide if it’s their fault or your fault... guess where this is going?
    Most people ignorantly think they will reach some friendly voice on the other end of the line who is more than happy to send you a free engine cause things have gone to hell. Guess again!
    With that said there is good reman companies who have really low failure rates but even then warranty issues are never easy.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Do they run them in before sending them out?

Tri-power37 likes this.
  9. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Honestly I don’t know ? But I doubt it . Long blocks usually have no valve covers ,oil pan ,timing covers or water pumps etc.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Right, that's what I thought. They usually require a new waterpump & radiator too.

Lots of room for error on an unfired engine.

Tri-power37 likes this.
  11. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Well that’s just it there is a lot that can go wrong with an engine that could be the installers fault that’s what makes warranty complicated. Generally with an engine I have found if there is a problem it’s obvious right at start up or break in . If that goes good they usually go out the door - never to be heard again.
    TOUCH WOOD!

Truckdoctor Andy and Truck64 like this.
  12. southerncad

southerncad

Wanted more cubes...and all accessories fit...

13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My understanding is they run them on a machine that spins the crank and turns all the connected components. They don't do a normal run in as their start up instructions say to use a pressurized oiler to get oil through out the engine before starting. Also that if you don't get good oil pressure within 30 to 45 seconds of fire up to shut it down.

And yes they did require a new water pump and rad.

Truck64 likes this.
  14. I’m with Tri-Power on this one. I’ve installed quite a few reman engines and the “warranty” is worded so the purchaser will get nothing if (more like when) their junk reman blows up. This is why I will NEVER buy a reman engine. When it comes to engine building, I trust nobody but myself. If the o/p is looking to replace a 350 with a 403, he will have to pay a core charge anyway. That kind of negates any savings on a reman.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Truck64 likes this.
  15. southcross2631

southcross2631

Probably find a complete running 403 in a salvage yard for cheap. I had a 403 in a Buick Wagon that served me really well for several years.