Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest EVER TALK YOURSELF OUT OF A SALE?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Jan 7, 2016.

1. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wanted to pull the trigger on an OT SUV (Ford Excursion) the other day after a friend procrastinated about buying it to tow his salt car down here. It was RHD, ready to go and registered in NZ and as such could be easily registered over here. It ended up selling for a ridiculously low price in the end, less than a similar LHD vehicle in US. Guess no one wanted it, lost opportunity for both of us.:mad::mad:

2. I have been selling at swap meets for almost 50 years. Attitude is everything. If they bust my balls, I tell them that they can't buy it, and don't send their friends around either. I have been known to smash things just to see the look on their face. One time an individual was giving me a bad time about the price of an item, he wouldn't quit. so I told him he could have it for free, then I threw it into the Port-a-potty. He wasn't happy then. but the look on his face was worth it.

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

When I was going through my bone marrow transplant(just before)I had a guy that wannted to buy a vintage,mint motorcycle from me.I was all set until he said he was going to bob it.I said "The F--k you will" and ended that dealing very quickly.Next guy kept it exactly as I had it,so I'm happy.Never would have sold the damn thing if I knew I was going to make it ;)

Hamtown Al likes this.
  4. X-F272

X-F272

I bought an OT aussie Falcon ute in high school from a local farmer for $500 after he turned down an offer from a bloke to buy it for $1000, the guy apparently wanted it to build a burnout car. I had it for a few years then sold it on when I decided 70's cars weren't my thing. Young local fella bought it and restored it exactly how I would have done.

On the other hand, my old man is well known for not selling anything, despite having enough mid-fifties Ford bits to restore about 20 cars. He bought an original '49 Chevy on a whim, but Mum said he had to get rid of it before the Courier came home. Ended up selling it to a dodgy wheeler-dealer who bagged it, tossed the original drive-line and stuck big ugly chromies with rubber band tyres on it and flipped it for 3 times what Dad sold it to him for. After that he decided he's selling anything else until he's dead.

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AND...just to give this thread a happy ending (at least from my perspective). I had a guy call me today and ask about the Austin motor. He said he would like purchase the engine and trans. I said if you don't mind me asking, what are your plans for it. He said, "I have a Metropolitan and...." I stopped him right there. End of story, he is picking it up in the morning and the Austin Somerset Motor finally has a good home.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  6. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

With me, I'm not too bothered with what someone will do with what I sell. After all it will be their car to do with as they wish. What usually happens is when I tell them I am thinking of making a Gasser out of it, they can't get their money out quick enough. In my opinion, anyone can restore a car, but it takes a real man to cut one up!

7. jazz1

jazz1

No emotional attachments to inanimate objects here! 2 sales went to R#T rodders this week. Plenty of buyers will put on a game face to secure a purchase...as will sellers,

8. Andy

Andy

I had a 90 Olds wagon. It was beautiful but the block had been cracked mostly in half. Deck to pan on both sides. I was using it every day and had no problems with it but was too underpowered for me. I put it in the paper and a black preacher wanted the car. I told him it was unreliable and would not sell it to him. I ended up trading it to a dealer. I tried to tell the salesman I needed to talk to the appraiser. They said not to bother as they know what they were doing. Good riddance.

9. rmcroadster

rmcroadster

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

Yes I have, I have ALWAYS been honest and up front with anything I deside to sell. If everyone was this way, we would not live in the buyer beware world that we do. Integrity goes along way in business and life, sadly my experiences in life/business, I have come to believe that I'm in the minority on this subject.

11. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I had my 28 A Sedan with a 5 inch top chop for sale, mainly by word of mouth. Reason I was selling it was my old body was having hard times getting in and out of it. My back and knees were screaming at me "Sell It".. I loved the car but faced reality and wanted to sell it, much less than my wife however. A fellow came over to look at it and I instantly thought this guy is too old for this car, he looks way older than me. He liked the looks of the car and the drive train. I told him that he better sit in it and be sure he can get in and out OK. No way he could manage the top chop and discomfort of sitting on the Camaro buckets. He said thanks for advising him about the situation and declined to buy it. Come to find out he was several years younger than me. I finally sold it to a guy older than me who was well aware of the car as he wanted it for a very long time. I firmly believe in telling a person everything I know that is wrong with an item and let him decide if he still wants it. My conscious is clear and I sleep very well at night.

12. raidmagic

raidmagic

So basically you wasted this guys time digging out an old engine you never plan on using. Nice job.

13. Judd

Judd

I got my Galaxie for less then a competative bidder because he gave the seller the idea he was going to part it out (probably to get a better price) . He didn't want to see his dads car parted out.

gimpyshotrods likes this.