Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Ever seen a Kaiser Darrin?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ownster, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ownster

ownster

I was at local car show in Haddonfield, NJ this past weekend and came across several cars that I've never seen before. I thought this car was kinda cool and different enough to post here. Anyone ever see one of these before? It has pocket doors... like old turn of the century homes!

Attached Files:

2. rodncustom

rodncustom

"Ever seen a Kaiser Darrin? "

Yes.

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

There's a fellow here in Central, NJ with one. His is yellow. He brought it to the Galloping Hill cruise night one time and I was chatting him up about the car. Apparently they came with 2 different engines, a 4 cylinder and a Willy 6. His had the latter. His car is a survivor, original paint and interior and an unrebuilt motor with 60K original on it. Paint and interior were showing it's age, but super cool car nonetheless

4. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

there is a guy here in Denver that has a seafoam green one. Really cool cars.

5. teddyp

teddyp

THAT,S STEVE GALANTE car a very nice un restore car that he drives

6. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

7. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

yep, my neighbor had a yellow one with 1,700 miles he was President of the K-F club for a while

8. 36C8

36C8

There was one on ebay a few days ago. Didn't meet reserve at 27k+ (for a "restorable" car)

9. Is that the same one that makes to BTT50's each year? Nice car!

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

When Kaiser went out, an entreprenuer on the west coast bought the remaining Darrins, yanked out the anemic drivetrains they came with, replaced them with 331 Cadillac V8s and hydramatics, and sold every one of them

11. sololobo

sololobo

A priest in a small town near my hometown had one. My dad serviced it for him. It was the talk of the town!! They are sooo cool. Thanx for posting the pix. Enjoyed it-Sololobo

12. 'Mo

'Mo

For TONS of pictures and a fascinating read, please check this link
    (And don't fail to scroll down. There are some jaw-dropping cars to be seen!):

http://www.coachbuilt.com/des/d/darrin/darrin.htm

The Kaiser Darrin was designed by Howard "Dutch" Darrin, and featured a Glasspar manufactured fiberglass body mounted to a Henry J chassis. Darrin designed many beautiful cars, including a slew of drop dead gorgeous Packards. In fact, the sloping door line (as currently being implemented on Kustom7777's shoebox) has long been referred to as a "Darrin dip".

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  13. Yep...awhile back on one of the cable tv car shows...maybe it was My Classic Car or Car Crazy but I remember a quick segment showing the doors...

14. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Yes! I've seen one or two myself..... neat cars.

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I damn near ran off the road on rte 50 just east of the Chesapeake bay bridge when I saw one going the other way. I've seen plenty over the 30 years at places like Hershey etc. but to see one on the highway was a little bit surprising.

16. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

The only time I've seen one was around L.A. in the early 80's. The owner of a motel had a bunch of rarely seen cars parked behind the motel. I believe his was one of the "converted" ones.

17. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

A local guy has one. He went on about that car beating the Corvette for being one of the first fiberglass bodied vehicles on the market.
    They're nice looking cars. I'm not a restorer, but I'd have a hard time hacking up a Kaiser Darrin to customize it.

18. 36C8

36C8

Bill Tritt and his Glasspar was the first "factory" produced fiberglass sports car. He also had a hand in the Darrin and was a consultant to Chevrolet as they were developing the Corvette.

19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've wanted one for 30 years, but unfortunatly, they appreciate in value faster that my net worth increases.........damn !

20. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

Yeah, I saw a creamish colored one as a kid, and have been in love with those suckers ever since. Those pocket doors kept me interested in cars untill I was old enuf to do something about it. :) Love those damn expensive cars...

21. boldventure

boldventure

This one was at the Carmel, ca. concours mid Aug. Drew quite a crowd.

Attached Files:

22. i guy in my neck of the woods has a silver one,really cool automobile

23. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

I've seen that one at the 50's, i don't think so but who knows i moved away from where the Darrin was 25 years ago.

He was a K-F mega super purest the car would have had to gone to some one just like that

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  24. Someone here local has one, too, I see at shows once in a while. They were a good idea, really, too bad the company went under not long after.

25. ownster

ownster

26. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

I saw one at the world of wheels when I was a little guy. I was cool because it was a car with my last name.

27. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

There was one in a backyard near my house. Had a tree growing thru it....

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, I've seen one recently at the Eyes on Design concourse event at the Edsel Ford estate this past June.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I have seen two in my life so far.I like the doors but the front grill looks like a puckered %^$%^$&