Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever Seen a Hot Rod Ice Cream Truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, Feb 3, 2009.

1. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

2. OGS41

OGS41

Syracuse 09 show winner and winner of the burnout contest

Attached Files:

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ry Cooder's "El Chavez Ravine".
    [​IMG]

4. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

This milk float,originaly driven by an electric motor and slow as shit(10mph?),was built in the mid '70's in the U.K. by a guy called Ray Christopher.
    It was powered by a blown SBC.The Jag rear was driven by a blower belt from the rear of the gearbox.
    The milk churn on the bed was the gas tank and a milk crate was used as a battery box.
    If I remember correctly,one of our car mags of the day took it to Brands Hatch for a road test.
    Seriously quick but ,I don't think it liked the corners! :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Mark

5. capogniracing

capogniracing
    from Chino

This is my van no where near as crazy as the supercharged vans, and its still in its building process, 1965 grumman with a 5.9 cummins on bags, might give someone some ideas[​IMG]

6. ExplorGM

ExplorGM
    from Arizona

Hi All,
    I've visited the site in the past but this time I registered. The photos are of a truck owned by the company I work for, Cold Stone Creamery. The truck was built on the Monster Garage Show with Jesse James. It was built as an Ice Racing Ice Cream Truck. Originally built with a 600HP Hard Core 454, 1050 Dominator, Single Plane, TH400, High Stall Converter, Currie Rear End with 5x5 bolt pattern, Ron Davis Radiator, Morrison 4 link, Wilwood front discs with a Wide 5 bolt pattern hub in the front, roll bar, racing bucket, B&M Slap Stick, etc...The original engine, a 6 cyl was cut out and dropped to the floor during the episode and the new parts installed along with 2 freezers, a mixing stone and a generator.

The truck was sent to the midwest to "race" with Jesse. He made a lap and then plowed it into a snow bank. The motor was overheated and the truck taken to a shop for repairs. Unfortunately, the guys that took it to the shop knew more about ice cream than auto mechanics and gave the shop the ok to replace the motor. The shop took out the $14k motor and swapped in a stocker! The HardCore 454 dissapeared into thin air and the truck went into hot rod storage for a few years.

Last year I was given the fun job of resurrecting the truck from the storage yard. This is when I discovered the parts swap. I actually found a flyer from the swap shop and called them. The gentleman admitted that they took out the big motor and put in a rebuilt and feigned ignorance as to what they did with the high dollar motor and parts.

With a stock manifold and Rochester I was able to get it smogged and with some elbow grease and some busted knuckles it was back on the road. I took it to a couple local car shows and we took it to a national golf event to show as well.

This year I asked for some more latitude to bring back some of its former glory and add some jewelry. I added the twin Edelbrocks and Wiend tunnel ram in the photo, swapped out the HEI with an MSD, Used some REAL wheel adaptors to match up a set of wide 5 wheels which were powdercoated to match the wide whites from Coker. In the photo the truck is in my driveway annoying the HomeOwner's ASSociation who sent me another nasty "get that Commercial Truck out of our neighborhood" letter. One of the more interesting things I found this year was the infestation of Black Widows in the undercarriage after sitting in front of our office near the desert for a year. Even 30 minutes of powerwashing did not clean out all of the webs! Each wheel was also infested with literally hundreds of baby spyders of some sort when I took them off the truck. Soaking the under side of the truck with 2 gallons of poison has still not cleaned it out!

The photos on the golf course and rear view are from last year prior to the wheel change.

Thanks for looking!
    Rick

Attached Files:

7. Mullins

Mullins

I just built this old Freddie Freeze Ice Cream truck for everyone to enjoy at a local car show. Now I've had so much fun with it I doubt I'd ever sell it.
    My friends and myself handed out over 2000 treats during the pumpkin run nationals. Then for a Halloween trick or Treat cruise in I handed out new hotwheels and candy. This old Ice Cream truck has put a ton of smiles on everyone's faces.
    Of course I had to put a 1000watt stereo in it with outdoor speakers!!! Van Halen "I'm the Ice Cream Man"
    Hope you like it!!! Powered by a 5.0 ford C6 trans!!! Next venture shall be the race track just for laughs.

Attached Files: