Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ever See The AMBR Winner from 1957? No?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Dislike it but would love to have it?

2. I grew up in Utah in the 60's, first AMBR I ever saw, we didn't have a lot of hot rods there. He also built a 3 wheeled car that was on the cover of Car Craft way back when

3. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Remember that car from the only hardcover hotrod book our local library had in 1959 or so....if someone put it on the HAMB now as a new build it would be interesting to see the comments.

4. firingorder1

firingorder1

Its hilarious to read people trying to apply today's idea of "traditional" to a car that when it was built was "cutting edge". I wonder what the kids of the future will say about the AMBR winner of this year?

5. Cruiser

Cruiser

Looks like a typical East Coast roadster from the era pretty butt ugly, the judges must have been drinking very heavily that day. :D

CRUISER :cool:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  6. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

7. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Must have been a hand full at 125+ mph.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Cool..... for it's time? And, does anyone have pics of the competition?

9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I scratch my head at most of the years winners.The judges seem to have some criteria or list of who knows what to add up and form an opinion.It doesnt seem like they ever just stand there and look at the cars and say wow,thats beautiful .

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You know what the Japanese say when they don't want to offend you with negative criticism? Very interesting.

Who's crazy idea was it to have to remove 3 air cleaners to open the hood? Gary

11. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

ok, not my cup of tea. But how and the hell is Utah "East Coast" ? Lot closer to you than it is to me.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  12. It could be fixed.
    Move the motor and body ahead and add a deck.
    I'd like to have that tachometer!

I keep looking at the back end... reminds me of a cartoon face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FROM THE ARTICLE:

abbreviated deck lid because the turtle deck was crushed
    new vertical panel is removeable to access rearend
    grill made from a refrigerator tray

Who wants to start the "I'm gonna make a refrigerator tray grill" thread...

13. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thats fucked up trying to blame that shit on us East coast guys.

Jungle Jalopy likes this.
  14. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I like the double sided front white walls.

15. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

There sure have been some real Butt Ugly winners through the years. I never could stand Reasoners "Invader" either. I mean, what part of that thing MILDLY resembles a pre-'36 roadster?

16. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

For that car to beat out Grabowski's "T", it just shows what a bunch of shit the judging criteria is. Which one became the icon?

17. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I don't know, I kinda like it. Its different. If you had a roadster body with a rear section that was really rusted, mangled, or gone, just cut it off lakes modified style. Be a good project for a "use what ya got" build.

18. A question for all the negative posters to this thread... How many AMBR winners have YOU built? Go out and build the perfect car, then win the award, THEN you can run your mouth all you want about someone elses car.
    Till then, your comments resemble masturbation. While you might be having a good time, nobody really wants to listen or watch you doing it.

19. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

It probably won because all the other cars
    looked pretty much the same. At the time
    this was probably looking like the future.
    Looking back on it, I don't think so.
    Matt

20. gir431

gir431

It's not what I would do now but I can see the attraction for "57. You figure it was built '55-'56 and during that time sports cars were relatively new and popular, this car has a sporty look, sort of MG like. Quad headlights were the future and this car has them. Again, not everyones can of beer but it does appear well built with good attention to detail and I imagine that is what sold the judges.

21. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Maybe they were just into ugly back in 1957?

22. firingorder1

firingorder1

Not really. They just didn't have the internet to tell them what was beautiful so they had to guess. Just remember that roadster when you build your "traditional" hot rod. You don't want to stray too far from the mainstream.

23. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

,,,,,,,,And the Aussies,,,,,,,

24. I thought this was super cool that it is still around.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/UfOYGZeJ5W8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/UfOYGZeJ5W8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

25. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jerry was building show cars when they were in there infancy, who knows which direction it would go in. Not my cup of tea but he did win an AMBR & later made the cover of Car Craft. I say good on you Jerry. Here is his three wheel car on the cover of Car Craft. Thanks for the thread Jimmy.

Attached Files:

• Hamb.jpg
      Hamb.jpg
      File size:
      180.6 KB
      Views:
  26. slowmotion

slowmotion

Like it or not, I think a little respect is due. The man won a major show, and got some national publication coverage. No saying I particularly like it, but damn, there's more to this hobby than black primer and red wheels...

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

On the other hand, if someone had found this car in a barn all full of bird poop and dirt, wouldn't everyone be raving about finding a "survivor?" Gary

28. 48buickkid

48buickkid

For all the haters just remember he was there in 1957 and knew enough to build a ambr winner, where were you?I dare you to tell him its ugly and not "traditional"! Have some respect!