Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever see a Willys custom ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nailhead, Feb 6, 2008.

1. padorey

padorey

This 38 Willys belong to Jim Hathway, It has been stretched 5" through the cab and doors. Running a ZZ430 motor. Jim and Scott of Scott of Scottrods Tucson, Az. built this custom Willys Truck

Attached Files:

2. hershambob

hershambob

i always thought that was tom hocker/ralph garcias 40 coupe built by barris,,bob

3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm into Kustoms so I'm not a big fan of the Willys kraze.
    I spent sometime today on a Kustom version that I may have
    to own someday. It would have been easier to put a front clip
    on Cole Foster's built '36 but that wouldn't have been fun.

Its a quicky but it gives you an idea.

Happy Trails,

Mick

Attached Files:

4. desertdroog

desertdroog

I was thinking that exact thing when I saw this car.

5. In the beginning of a Monster Garage episode, one of the crew for that days project was shown driving his 41 Willys coupe, taildragger. Red, I think. I remember it being pretty badass. Then I changed the channel

6. Barn-core

Barn-core

A Willys taildragger is an idea I've had rattling around in my brain for some time now. I'd never seen one either, but would love too. Any chance anyone can get pics of the red Beatnick one everyone keeps talking about?

7. Nailhead

Nailhead

Seems I struck a chord with this topic :rolleyes:

Any money it for me ??? :D

8. Mootz

Mootz

I think this is the pic some of you are referring to. If I understand things correctly, this is the Beatnik's Willys:
    [​IMG]

9. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

LOCK-That would be AWESOME! Hook it up if you can.

10. Ron

Ron

While I was hunting for the old mag I see it was already posted but here is another anyway.

Attached Files:

11. Nailhead

Nailhead

That's pretty damn cool ! :cool:

Todd

12. slammed1

slammed1

The black Willys at the first of this thread is bitchin and screams "sinister".
    I like the just right amount of chrome to help the smoothness of the black paint.

13. Tony

Tony

That's it.. NEVER thought i'd like a Willys as a custom...I was wrong, i like that one.

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Lynn Park's Willys is in the new Street Rodder. Except for the radials, it's like he reached inside my head and did almost exactly what I was hoping to do to a Willys someday. It definitely rocks.

15. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Stock Willys are so cool... I'm surprised any still exist. Like '32 Fords. RARE in stock form.

16. alchemy

alchemy

I think the magazine gave the wrong spin to the construction of that car. Jerry Hagens built it. I didn't really read that in the article.

Do you know Hagens? He's from Illinoise too, and you probably should meet him. Builds outstanding, unusual, broke-the-mold cars. Aledo, Illinois. Friendly guy that will talk your ear off.

17. Django

Django
    from Chicago

The name sounds familar. I haven't read the article yet, but I will now. I'd love to meet him. I'll have to look up Aledo, as I have not heard of that town.

18. alchemy

alchemy

Some of Jerry's cars:
    - black 32 five-window with flathead, never been off the frame, 20 years ago.
    - purple 39 coupe with flathead, 15 years ago.
    - purple early Bronco convert w/Hemi, 10 years ago.
    - green 39 coupe with flathead, copy of his brother's highschool car, 6 years ago.
    - That Black 40 Willys, 5 years ago.
    - green/tan 32 cabriolet w/baby Hemi, 3 years ago.
    - black 36 five-window w/baby Hemi, 2 years ago.
    - last year a Jag XKE, customized w/I think a SBC, never saw it before he sold, color?

Jerry is a very prolific, high-quality builder whose cars are so much in demand that he sells before they probably even have 100 miles on them. And his son builds nice cars too. http://purehotrods.com/index.html

19. Regarding the Swedish Volvo/Willys!
    A friend of mines son owns it now. Can get u pics on it in a week or so!!

20. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Cool, post them on the board..... even though it is based on an old Volvo, the car looks really good!!

21. Volvo/ Willys with Air

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Ever seen a Merc Gasser? Sacrilege !!!! Willys coupes & pickups were made famous running down the 1/4 mile in Gas classes.

23. Adam F

Adam F

Can you tell me what Volvo parts were used? Are we talking Amazon or late stuff?
    I have an Amazon parts car here in the yard with a good motor, and am looking at a 38 Willy's sedan!

Thanks - Adam

24. zapp69

zapp69

[​IMG]

I was so scared to open this thread I almost didnt, then to be greated by this awesome Willy's Im very relieved. Someone called it a streetrod, if it is I guess I just became a Streetrodder(uhrgh burppp)

25. 33mopower

33mopower

Remember the 40 ford pickup with the lincoln zephyr fenders? Well I want a willy's custom with lincoln zephyr fenders. Photochop that.

26. Rem

Rem

Here's another one from England - Chevy V6 or something-powered I think. It was for sale last year, so don't know where it is now.

Attached Files:

27. Its built on a Volvo Duett (P210) cause its the ONLY Volvo with separate frame! He has taken the whole Volvo frame with engine, axles, steering, brakes etc etc....

Attached Files:

28. Weasel

Weasel

That Volvo abortion is freakin' gross - I'm gonna puke.

The black 1940 Willys (belongs to Lynn Park) in Zapp69's photo is an all steel car with widened stock wheels and a black painted 392. It's a classic resto rod and traditional to me - it would not look out of place in the Rodder's Journal. Living proof a cool Willys does not HAVE to be a gasser.

29. autobilly

autobilly

Wow! Sometimes I can't believe the stuff that's around, tucked in people's garages. Wiyhout the HAMB, we'd never know. Kool.

30. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

[​IMG]

Yes, it's a resto-rod. Subtle and tasteful.

And yes, you can turn a Willys into a custom. But to me, customs are based on luxury cars, or at least full-sized cars. The '38-'42 Willys was a small economy car. Back in the Sixties, Anglias, Willys, and Austins were so popular as gassers because of their light weight and small size.

At the 50th Grand National Roadster Show, I saw an Anglia with a Carson-style top. At the Portland Swap Meet, I saw a Nash Metropolitan with a tube chassis and a blown rat. I don't recommend that, either.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/