Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ever see a repair like this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southerncad, May 11, 2015.

1. southerncad

southerncad

I've seen some pretty funky repairs, but I think this tops em' all....Think this will buff out?
    [​IMG]

2. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Is that electrical tape???

3. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Hell yeah! I just bought a pack of 10 rolls, or in other words, NEW FLOORPANS!!!

lewk, JB_roadrage and Max Gearhead like this.
  4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

MacGyver owned an old car , wow

5. Model T1

Model T1

Looks like a 1926 T. Looks as good as the beer can floor patches I found and the hardware cloth and Bondo on another. Yes I've seen even worse. At least you can see this.
    This really don't appear too bad.

6. Tony

Tony

How dumb...everyone knows black duct tape works the best!
    :)

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and Model T1 like this.
  7. What's it covering up? cracks/chips?

8. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Well, you know what they say, "If you cant duck it......

9. I was out in the desert once, 29 palms, with a couple guys when the motor mount broke on the Dodge p/u we were in. This tore up the fan belt and left us miles from town with a non-op water pump. I took the bootlace off a friends marine corp issue boot, wrapped it super tight around the crank pulley, the alt pulley and of course the water pump tied it off with a boy scout square knot and headed to the nearest auto parts with no problems. True story.

10. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

24 years ago the Driveshaft fell out of my 83 gmc stepside coming back from street machine nats in Illinois , felt the ol' big block rev up gently looked in rear view n driveshaft came to rest in the ditch off interstate. Too much fun nights before probably the cause. Walked back seen it was scarred up n 2 caps n u shaped girdles gone. Being a hot Sunday afternoon & no civilization in sight, I deduced that we could use a 9/16 & 5/8 socket duct taped as caps & inside n out & criss crossed whole roll to hold joint in place on yoke. Drove smooth as silk with me not letting off the steady pace until 45 minutes later found an autozone n got the missing pieces, but my pal few miles down road exclaimed WHAT'S THAT?! Hearing no noise I just puckered seat cushion as he said ...... JUST YOKING.......:confused: Probably a duct tape thread on here somewhere. Flux

11. Happen on a dump truck I drove for a company.Belt flew off I had a piece of rope behind the seat and used that for a belt.Got me back to the yard.Bruce.

12. Model T1

Model T1

Used my wife's panty hose once. It was more fun taking them off her than making a temporary belt!:D

13. chrisp

chrisp

Over the years I've found card board, news paper, rags, tin cans, masking tape covered with bondo. On a 70's unibody I replaced a rusted out front frame rail that had been "fixed" with concrete.

Model T1 likes this.
  14. silent rick

silent rick

the handyman's secret weapon. if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

red green

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    rexrogers, Thaplumbr and loudbang like this.
  15. silent rick

silent rick

oh, and keep your stick on the ice

16. Kinky6

Kinky6

About 25 or 30 years ago, driving a German econo-box, had a clutch cable housing collapse on me, couldn't get enough cable pull to shift gears. Put a splint on it using a long screw driver shaft and a bunch of mini size hose clamps. Drove it about 400 miles using 1st, 3rd & 5th gear till I got it home. K6

17. Friend of mine bought an old International P/U and after looking inside the door panels found roofing shingles glued to the inside of the doors I guess for noise reduction.

volvobrynk and flux capacitor like this.
  18. 1pickup

1pickup

things found filling holes under bondo: license plates, Playboy mags, chrome tape, duct tape, masking tape, gravel, shop rags, screen from a screen door, plastic sheets, & lots of pop rivets.

19. Come to think of it, that probably was what those shingles were for.:rolleyes:

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. i wonder if it had anything to do with dot inspection. when ct had motor vehicle inspections the rule was no outer body holes. on cheap winter beaters, we used to get real creative plugging stuff to pass.

volvobrynk, Paul B and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. I don't see a problem, here....I have to finish my rear end repair.-MIKE:p:D

216683_m730_____1.jpg

22. Had a 39 plymouth coupe way back in the 50s & rearend was howling . Dad I went to trade it off but first we put saw dust in the differential.
    I did a post here about loosing my hood on the 32 in Tuba City Az & bungee corded it on & drove it across country & back to Oregon. Sometimes ya just have to be creative.

23. dudley32

dudley32

I thought saw dust was a dealer repair :):)

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. clem

clem

Isn't that is an insult to the real Mc Gyver, who has also posted on this thread, see below!:)

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. I've seen a loaf of bread used as backing for bondo. It was a bit crunchy, but still tasted OK.

volvobrynk, Texas57 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. chrisp

chrisp

On a flat twin car engine that was running poorly, when we took it apart we found out that they used 2 left cylinder heads, which meant that on the right side the exhaust port and valve was the admission and intake port and valve was used as the exhaust port.
    On an other one a 6v wiper motor was put in a 12v wiper case, it was running so fast that a couple of times the wiper arms flew away like darts.

27. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

Back in the '70's when I worked for a Ford Truck dealership we had a guy changing the water pump on a pick up. There are a lot of bolts holding that pump to the engine. He couldn't get one of the longer bolts to start threading so he sharpened it on the grinding wheel and drove it in with a hammer. That was a come-backer someone else had to fix. That guy didn't last long there.

28. i can remember taking cover off a gm 10 bolt and it was packed full of banana peels and man did it STINK!

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Duct tape will fix anything.........................................except stupid!!! Everyone has seen/done the cut up tin can to fix a leaking exhaust pipe thing; can cut and wrapped around the pipe, then baling wire or radiator clamps used to hold the affair in place. I've used that method to get a car to the muffler shop so the collectors can be welded onto the header pipes; I'll bet they've seen it a lot, and other hack jobs. I'd once bought a "real nice" 63 Ranchero; at least it looked nice. The entire rear supports/flooring for the upper shock mounts was chicken wire screwed/riveted in place, with roofing tar coated over it to look like undercoat, but the shocks were still loose, image that, and the rust was still there. Cereal boxes used to make gaskets (I've done that one too for a SBC thermostat housing leak). The FED dragster I bought years ago had been converted to a rear motored car (and done very poorly), and I was changing it back. The fuel tank was still in the "up front" position, and NHRA requires a firewall to separate the tank from the driver. The guy had used an old STOP sign. My second dragster was a rear motored Super Comp car; it was running 8.15 on an 8.90 index at the time I bought it. That guy must have had a silicon adhesive sponsor as the stuff was everywhere. For the anti submarine belt with the 5 point harness, he had just wrapped the belt around a cross tube under the seat, poked some holes through the webbing, and clamped it together with a bolt-washers-nut (I'm sure that met NHRA requirements also). In the home made, full length oil pan the guy made/had made, I found what looked to be a rubber dental dam (???) just floating around in there (I have no idea why, when, or whatever). Why it was't sucked up against the oil pump pickup, who knows. NEVER, EVER, trust anyone else's work! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Trying to make a locker into a full slip?

Jet96, volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.