Register now to get rid of these ads!

ever have one of those guys who...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

talks the talk, walks the walk, wears the costume, has a car, but has no skill to build a car, and has everybody thinkin he's a car builder? we got one here who holds court at every local cruise in town, talkin about choppin tops and customizin this and that, why do guys do this? why not just learn before they open they're mouth? better yet, learn and still keep your mouth shut! do you know one of these guys???

2. To early for drama dude.

3. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

drama? im just askin. if its drama delete it.

4. madgrinder

madgrinder

Those people are just lonely and crave attention. We have them in the music-world too... come up to you after a show, and give you a compliment with a veiled "I could do better" in it somewhere.

5. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I love those guy. It just fun playing with there head. Some times these guys just make my day. But then again I have PTSD.

Had a guy one day that was telling me how he built this car. Funny part was it was one I built and I had a lot of fun with him. Finally said I built one just like that years ago. It could be it twin. As I walk away my buddy said 'He built that car" meaning me.

Just the last cruise there was a guy with 9 second painted all over the back of his truck. even the name of the track. That thing would not make spec at any track I know. I just had to play.

I really like the want-a be bikers. You know the guys with the Harley shirts and also wearing the penny loafers and sneakers. Your set there minding your own business and they come up and ask if you have a bike to got with that shirt. "Sure and shop full of them and 4 are mine. So what do you have".

So intend of getting upset, just laugh at there stupidity.

Like the old saying goes. Its better to keep your mouth shut, then to open and prove you are stupid.

6. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Small penis syndrome

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

NAILED IT!!!!

Frank

8. Voh

Voh

Its a little different here. I have a neighbor that so wants to be the guy you speak of. He is forever in my garage asking what I am doing, if i know what i am doing and if i know that "there are people that can do that for you"
    He drives a BMer, and swears that if he ever gets a bike, it woulsd have to be a BMW...

As indicated above, its simetimes best not to say anything.

9. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

How many of them you do want, we got a shit pile of em up here? This the reason I quit going to "cruise nights" to much bullshit and gossip not to mention all the "why did'nt you just buy one from Speedway?" questions.

10. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

I know that guy..I had a shop with him..I worked my ass off building a customer's 50 ford and this fool drove it to show and took all the credit..on video

11. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

who cares ignore it

12. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Lots of those guys out there.

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

"wears the costume" ?????

costumes are for children and only on Halloween

rodders don't wear costumes...I've been at this for almost 50 years and haven't needed one yet..

a black t-shirt, fresh tattoos, and rockasilly sideburns does not a hot rodder make

14. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

"Its better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt"

15. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

"wears the costume" ?????

costumes are for children and only on Halloween

rodders don't wear costumes...I've been at this for almost 50 years and haven't needed one yet..

a black t-shirt, fresh tattoos, and rockasilly sideburns does not a hot rodder make

Amen Brother........Now, where'e my gold chains?????

16. Came to Pass

Came to Pass
    from Visalia Ca

Right...usually best to not say anything.

One time I got fed up and said, "Just because you don't know what I'm doing doesn't mean I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!!!

He never came back...this makes me happy.

17. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

geez, now i gotta shave my sideburns...i just wanted to be like Dillon from 90210 back in 1991 and I never shaved em off!!

18. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I think you are calling out half the HAMB with your post. LOL

19. Always good for a laugh. No sense trying to correct the clown, just enjoy the show and move on.

People that think they know everything really annoy those of us that do.

20. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

21. HaHa! My buddies and I were at the local friday night hangout.An old guy came up and complimented on my friends 51 Merc for the chop and the color.THEN,he started telling him on how he would of done it and that the way it was done was to much. :confused:
    We were just tripping on the nerve of the guy. I find it amazing that those guy's don't under stand that they are riding a fine line of getting punched in the mouth.:D

22. paul v

paul v

Being a studebaker owner, I hear this type of crap all the time. You just have to let them talk and pretty much pay no mind to them. Paul

23. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Guess you have'nt been round cars long,,lol Hell I remember this from when I was little,,back then it was guys who read the hot rod magazines,,and then just spilled out all they read like thay knew it all,,yet they could'nt look under a hood and know what to do..Nowadays you have the internet,,funny thing with the net is ,,someone posts the wrong info,,then you have 20 people spouting it off somewhere thinking they know and they don't,,every hobby has people like that...and with anything those who really wanna do,,will.

24. Had a guy in my neighborhood who had every muscle car ever made and it was always the rarest model. The stories were always ended with "But I sold it." He always bothered me and my friends until I started asking to see some pictures of these cars and all of a sudden it was I dont have any, I gotta go do something then he just stopped coming around. Call these people out then they will leave you alone.

25. SuddenDeath

SuddenDeath
    from Florida

Those guys are part of what soured me on local car shows and gatherings. I guess my pet peeve at shows is hearing "how much it cost", or "how much its worth', or "I got this", and "I got that". Ahh! Who cares. Why can't they appreciate something for what it is, not its value. Appreciate its history, rather than what it can do or putting a dollar value on it.

Doesn't take much skill to write a check.

26. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

They're everywhere. With any luck they at least brought their good looking girlfriend with them for you to look at while they are blabbing.

27. I'm with HOT40ROD. Over here we get a lot of wannabe bikers, 50+ year-olds who mortgage their houses to buy Harleys. Years ago, I went to a biker rally on my very rare CZ road bike. As the others oohed and ahhed at my rare two-smoke twin, this guy with a new HOG jacket comes up and tells me to "come back when you get your FIRST HARLEY..." I then explained that I got my first one back in the late '60s and apologized for being late. His HOG buddies cracked up, as did everyone else hearing the conversation.

The other one that comes to memory was going to an All-American (cars) Day where a guy who was young enough to be my son told me off for some 'inaccuracies' in a story I did for NZ Classic Car on the US custom car scene in the 1950s. Apparently, there was some stuff he read in a book that proved me wrong. I gently reminded him that I didn't think I needed a book, 'cause I actually lived in SoCal in the 1950s and experienced the hot rod and custom car culture first-hand. NZCC's editor thought the whole thing very amusing.

28. Oh, is that the guy who wears designer clothes and gold neckchains whose girlfriend always looks like she's on her way to a night on the town? Someone must be cloning them and sending them out world-wide to annoy the rest of us!:eek:

29. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

My father in law is one of these guys. Bought a harley so he would be cool and never shuts up about it. I cant stand it. He talks crap about my dads Honda road bike, but when my dad goes for a normal ride its a couple hundred miles. When my father in law goes for a 50 mile ride he talks about how long it was. I was over at the in laws a year or 2 back and one of his buddies was talking about how jap/sport bikes are junk. Id love for that guy to spout off once I get my CBR running. Id offer to go slip for slip and see how bad ass he really is :D

30. In anything that takes skill, expertise and knowledge . . . there are ALWAYS posers. Big mouths, large egos and a ton in insecurity usually bring it on . . . coupled with zero people skills.

I just keep on trying to get better, am humbled by those who know much more than me and are usually willing to help me learn --- and try to give back to those who happen to be able to actually learn a bit from me.

Most of us do this work from our hearts -- due to things that run deep inside of us -- not to collect trophies, compliments or hang with a bunch of dumb asses who we can BS into thinking we're something we're not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.