Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Ever had to raise up your sled? (It sucks)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Dec 2, 2009.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I try to drive my Merc as low as possible without the use of air bags. Air bags are alright
    but I've always thought that it was kool when guys ask, "is it bag'd?" and I can say I drive
    it that way.......For the past fifteen plus years, I've been to Florida, Colorado, Illinois and
    all over drag'n the ground. It about killed me when I had to raise it up two inches.

This is what she looks like raised up. I hate being able to see that backwall tire.

[​IMG]

Since my trip to Salina, Something happened and the Merc started this problem with my
    back tires rubbing my belt line. It was ok most of the time if I was by myself, but if I was
    going around a corner to fast or driving through Tulsa, it would rub so bad that it would
    smoke like I was drifting the Merc around the corners. Not Good. So to keep my sanity I
    raised it up 2 inches. Krap!! Have you ever had to do this to your ride? Talk about suck,
    it was awful!! I thought that I was riding around in a muscle car. I drove the past month
    or so without dragging at all…… But I still couldn't have anyone ride with me without
    rubbing the tire. It wasn't smart but I drove it most of the summer everywhere with the
    back tire rubbing. Thankfully God was watching over me and I didn't have a blow out.

I’ve had it in suspension shops multiple times and at a friends body shop and they couldn't
    tell me why it was rubbing. So I had enough, So this weekend I called Krobe to see if I
    could borrow his garage and some tools so I could cut out part of the inner fender well.
    When I pulled the skirt off I found chunks of rubber between the skirt and the fender. Not
    kool. We spent a couple of hours cutting away my problem and now I’m back to dag'n again.
    It was always a little bit tight but now I might have the clearance to run white walls on the
    back.

Like to thank a lot of HAMBers with their help with suggestions and to Rashy & Bulletproof
    trying to get me road ready for Pistons and Paint. Thanks guys!!

Now I have another strange sound that I hadn’t heard before. This is a rattle that I can live
    with for now. All I care is the Mercury is back down on the ground and I’m drag’n assphalt again.

Happy Trails,

Mick

2. raven

raven

It's tough being cool...
    certainly not for the faint-hearted...
    r

3. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

I liked it better raised up.... but then again, my other car IS a muscle car....

Sweet ride you got there!

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

You could paint the bottom half of the rear tire white, then you'd just see the white when it's parked...

But, with the rear tire blak all the time...there's that old saying "real kustoms do not have rear tires."

R-

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I love it raised up, it looks good. I always revert back to "Sam's" Merc and how high that thing actually sat. It was much higher then a lot of car today yet it's perfect in every way.

6. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Sounds like the spring bushings or something could've been worn allowing the axle to shift when cornering. This is a common issue with my O/T MGB GT when putting over size tires on it. Not much room at all. The absolute cure is a panhard bar.

With your car being that low, I have no idea if you'd even have room for one lol.

Good lookin' car!

-Chris

7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

that's why i did air bags.

8. Rusty

Rusty

good news mick, i dont care for bags either

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

One of my heroes is Lee Pratt... All of his cars are so damn low... static... and drag on fucking everything. We'll be cruising along and he'll hit a small bump and it will sound like the car is about to come apart. He just smiles.

Ruler.

I like bags. I like the adjustability and I like the ride. But you are right,the simplicity of static is awful damn nice.

10. Sucks that you had to raise it up. I don't think I could run lower than your current height in Chicago. I was thinking of running some small casters/wheels in the back I think I saw some on the Hirohata Merc?

11. guiseart

guiseart

I always wondered; how do you boys change flat tires?

12. RDR

RDR

great looking Merc and LOVE those taillight/guard units....What are they?.... I'm with you on not bagging 'em...this is where it sits and this is were it drives and rides !!

13. Gator

Gator

My Caddy was static, and it drug a lot. There was nothing on the car that was below the frame (other than the lake pipe caps) so no matter how bad it sounded I knew it wasn't hurting anything so I just kept rolling.

When we went to Dixie Fried in Atlanta we had the back end loaded down with camping gear, coolers, etc. Every time I filled it up with gas my Poorboys club plaque would drag for the first 100 miles or so till the fuel burnt off.

[​IMG]

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

car looks great!!!

15. vegas paul

vegas paul
    from salina, ks

OT, but you mentioned going to Salina... I've recently applied for a position with the city of Salina and have an interview coming up (for Building Official). What's it like and what are the good points/bad points?

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The Best stance on a custom in my opinion is the Jimmy Vaughn Ford built by Gary Howard. Also goes to show that you do not need a MII to have good stance and drive-ability.

My experience with this is that as nice as bags are ride wise they just are not necessary and as long as you oil pan does not sit too low, a few bumps and scrapes comes with the territory. It also simplifies the car which is key.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Now all you need is some 7.10 Firestones to really get that nose in the air and really have it sitting proper. Love your Merc by the way!

18. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pratt is a kool example of a guy that always had a Kustom that set right and was not
    scared to drive it low.....

Over the past 26 years Renee is used to the drag'n sound. She can almost tell the
    difference of a bad drag from a kool one. The bad drag, is the one that I'm looking
    through my rear view mirror to see what fell off. One of these days it might get bagged
    in the back. They could come in handy, I know that my lower rockers would appreciate it..

Thanks guys for the kind words.....The Merc has gone through a lot and has gone through
    more cosmetic surgery then Joan Rivers face. The tailights idea I borrowed it from American
    Rodder magazine. They shot this Caddy at a show that was de-finned and the tailights were
    cut into the upper part of the bumper. I thought if it would work on a Caddy it would
    have to work on my Merc. It is something different that I got lucky and it worked out.

I'm not bashing "bags" at all I just wanted to keep my system simple and cheap. I do have
    air shocks that I can raise it up if I have too. Ususally do it onece a year when I leave
    after work to go to Austin. If you park it smart you can get the rearend down to look
    bagged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry I can't help ya out with Salina. I don't live up there but I do know at least three
    days of the year you can't find a kooler town. Good luck!

I didn't know that Kustoms had rear tires until I started smelling smoke......

I cut two thirds off of a KKOA drag tag to use it for my feeler... If it starts to drag, I know
    that I'm in the kool zone... I Love the sound of a drag tag. One of the reason that I'm
    running a Caddy back bumper, it is heavy enough to be able to take some abuse.

Who told you to say that? I've been fighting the idea for a while. One of these days I'll be
    running the 7.10 Firestones. Right now I have to wait unitl I groom my fenders. It is hard to
    beat that taildragger look.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm a tire Nazi. I study them like others study engines and intakes. Well when ever you get around to running them, make sure you post it here!!! JeffSled's Merc really was complimented by the new addition of 7.10's. With such a massive car a bigger tire make things a bit more proportional.

[​IMG]

However like I said, you car is just plain bad ass so I would not be rushing to change anything on that car. Look great......and it's a Merc so who can say anything?

20. RDR

RDR

all right straycat... level with me....Caddie bumper; BUT what are the lenses??? TOO KOOL!!!

21. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I fight this all the time too.I really never cared a few years ago driving around dragging hitting grinding everything,it never bothered me.Until my son was born and he started going everywhere with me.He absolutly has to go in the truck.......scrub line.This is what is bothering me.Im worried that when I lose a tire on the freeway Im gonna kill us or someone else.Around town Im not so worried so Im really leaning towards adding some "helper" bags in the rear for the freeway driving.If I can get the rear up an inch or two it will put me in the green for a flat with no issue.Long story short I havent done it because Im freaking out at the fact that Im adding something to raise my truck!Your car rules man dragging or not!Im just gonna stay in town for awhile till I get up the nerve!

22. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

It certainly aint Vegas. Nice little town though plus all the real customs are out here. :D

23. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

My frame currently sits at 2" off the ground and is the lowest point on my car and living in Illinois it hits bottom a lot,but I would lift it back up for anything.With my 235lbs in it the rear tire is gone.

Attached Files:

24. I'm with ya Mick! Looks way cooler down. I was totally bummed when I lowered my Merc down where it belongs after I got it and had to put it back up a bit later. Back down now and you gotta love a good drag! ;) Non-car folks ask me all the time if it drags....yup....that's what those lake pipes are for...to let me know I'm in the cool zone when they're sparkin'. LOL.

It just wouldn'ta been right for your plate to not constantly have to be pushed back down flat. Glad you were able to get the clearance you need.

25. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Car still looks like a million bucks though

26. Here in NZ if "Anything" is lower than 4 inches off the ground, the police will put your car off the road until it is raised. New laws now say car can be confiscated if you continue to abuse the "system"..
    Talk about suck...........

27. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys for the compliments......

Very Kool!! I thought that I was the only one. Right now I'm running radials and it is killing
    me not to run the 7.10's. I'm in love with the ribs that run around the tire and the only
    way to get there is to run the Bias ply. My friends know that I drive it a lot and say that the
    ride quality will decrease if I ran the Bias ply instead of the radials.. The've said that since
    the tires are covered with fender you can't really tell if they are radials or not. I beg to
    differ. Looking at the picture that you posted is proof that they're is a big difference.

Sometimes Kool is not easy.... Right now I'm just hang'n tight but bias ply are in the near future.

Sorry about keeping ya in the dark....I cut out the shape of the tailight and made a plexi glass tailight lens to fit the openning.

Kids make ya think about those things. Very Important.

Man that would suck! My daily driver sets lower then that, my picture would be posted at the Post Office.

Happy Trails,

Mick

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well, without getting into the debate over radials and bias. I will tell you that there a ton of dudes that run bias on a regular basis and love them. Seeing how your car is slammed an riding only a few inches off the ground I can assume that you have gotten used to the idiosyncrasies of a modified old car. The bias tire to me just makes it a but more of a driving experience. Sure the car will wander a but more but these are not brand new lexus' right? They command attention and the trade off for the right look is definitely worth it. I think it will take your car to a whole other level for sure. THe right tire can make or break a car and 7.10's are a must for a Merc. When you ready to get them just go a head and do it and make an honest comparison. I'm almost positive that you will love the look and idea of running them that you will hardly notice that it's "dated" technology. Spread the Gospel and good luck!!!

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On my Merc when I had it an on the 48 it took/takes two jacks. One small one to slip in and raise it up enough to get the other one under the frame.

I'm going to run springs and a low static height on the 48 this time around as I don't care for the bagged look but plan to have auxiliary bags on the rear to keep the static height the same empty or loaded for a road trip. Normal three day trip to a rod trot stuff used to make it drop in the rear more than I wanted it to and I didn't like the look. Stuff in/air in, stuff out/ air out. This state now has a law on the books that you can't set up your car to lay frame "throw sparks by dropping it to the ground" so laying frame here may not have a long future.

30. RDR

RDR

thanx Mick, kinda figured that was what you had to do for the lenses....GOOD FOR YOU !....by the way, if you go the bias 7.10 route you may have to lower it again cause they're usually taller than radials...I went the other way and had to raise the Chevy almost 2" good luck....Randy