Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever had a vehicle that was just cursed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KreaturesCCaustin, Apr 22, 2009.

1. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

My '62 C10 apparently has some bad mojo on it. When I first got it, I knew the engine was shot. I put together a used 305 and dropped it in to get me on the road. Then I found out the tranny was bad, too. I had a transmission rebuilt for it and got the thing running. Shortly after that, my 305 decided to throw a rod cap out through the oil pan. Crap. So, I had a different engine built (a good one this time). Well, just the other day, I went to pass a guy on the highway and my transmission started shaking like all hell and quit working. I dropped the pan to look and found strange metal bits in the pan. OK, pull the transmission. As I unbolted the bell housing, a big chunk of it fell off in my hands. I swear, "if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all".

Anyone in Austin have a long tailshaft TH350 lying around that works? I can't afford anything fancy right now. I just need a greasy old driver that I can pick up for a reasonable cost. Sheesh! I remember when we used to be tripping over the damned things. Now, they've all disappeared.

I'm screwed until I find one. This truck is my one and only daily.

2. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Yup, all of them!

-Jason

3. lonestarluck

lonestarluck

me too!! my 64 c-10 has been pretty good to me so far though but i've only had it a few months

4. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

I had a 64' comet that was towed 5 times! 3 of them were because it got impounded. I'm convinced that she preferred riding on the back of a truck over the road

5. yup.
    it was an O/T vehicle that i hated and hated myself for owning at the time.
    it was in the body shop more than on the street...

first sign: taking a turn in the rain on an unfamiliar street and there is a huge dip in the intersection. when the front wheel hits it, the wheel yanks out of my hand and slides over into the curb, realigning the front suspension in an undesirable fashion.

first hit:
    old man runs a red light. hits car in lane next to me, spins out, hits me.

next hit:
    some dope leaves his toddler playing in the front seat of his running truck and walks away. kid hits the shifter and truck backs across the parking lot into the same door that was hit the first time.

again:
    backing out of my driveway... i lived on a one way street so i dropped the tail of the car out onto the street and stopped to peer around the hedge to see if anyone is coming. as i turn my head back, some nincompoop is backing up the street in a big ol cargo van, aparrently unable to see me sitting right in his path. so i blow the horn just in time to get his attention, but not before he gets into the same door AGAIN.

final nail:
    i'm driving to work down along the beach and theres bicyclists and skates all over the place, dodging in and out of cars and driveways so i look to make sure i'm not going to run anyone over and the girl in front slams on her brakes so i get into her.... insurance totals my car (thankfully) and she gets away with a scratched bumper....

6. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Doesn't take much of a driveshaft imbalance to bust off a bellhousing. Happened to me on a TH400 behind a 383 SBC in a '72 Chevelle. Had the driveshaft shortened and felt a feint vibration at a certaon MPH, figured it was nothing so I keopt driving it. One night several weeks later I took it outside of town to blow the cobs out of it and when it hit 2nd gear there was a big thump and then I was coasting. Snapped the bellhosusing off the case from "ear to ear". Same exact thing happened to a co-worker's Camaro with a TH350.

7. yblock292

yblock292

my 50 shoebox i bought at the round up last year hated me, fought me all the way putting the 265 in screamed and yelled , would let me down things wouldn't work , finally got her to settle down, drove 1131 miles to the round up and back this year, 14 miles to the gallon , lost the generator in Austin but besides that she was perfect!

8. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

yep, had a caddy that just hated me. everything that could go wrong went wrong. i wound up selling it to a friend of mine, after i warned him the car was cursed, and the motor went........john

9. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

yep, still got it. Fixed it up twice to sell it and ending up crashing it both times, within days of putting the sale sign in it. I've now repaired for the third time and I am going to keep it.

10. H3O

H3O

dang my truck is beginning to be this way. got into a wreck back in early march. three weeks ago my door handle comes apart (passenger thank goodness!) and i still need to fix it. was doin an oil change last thursday, puttin in the first quart and me and my buddy hear a loud bang and shatter. driver side window fell down the door and shattered!!!! just sittin and it shattered!!! :eek: then my fuel pump went out on monday and changed it that night. i think it's time to tear her down and rebuild her completely.

11. I had a 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal. Ran great. Super touring bike. :)
    First year for the model. Had every possible problem you could have with a vehicle.:( Plug wires went bad at around 2000 miles, Loose steering head, The brakes were shot at 6000miles. Pads and ROTORS!!:eek: Lots of other niggles and pains. The strangest thing, the dark coloring in the tan seat started to turn into sticky goo. :confused: I was so sick of problems and Yamahas shitty attitude I sold it after a year and 6200 miles. By the time I sold it the bugs were all worked out of it. The buyer loved the bike and 2 of his buddies bought new ones from the dealership that I bought my bike at:mad:.
    Where's my Fn commision

Attached Files:

12. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

Not one car, a cursed car model line. All three of my Lincoln Mark's died unnatural deaths, none of which were my fault. All creamed by uninsured drivers, one KO'd while I was sitting on my couch drinking a beer (guy missed his turn in the parking lot). My wife has banned me from owning any more Lincolns.

13. My '39 has fought me from the get-go, everything I've done to it or tried to do, this car fought me.....it's definitely cursed. When I go to sell it, I'll leave cursed out of the description.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

no commission..you were the guinea pig

15. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

two words Dodge Aspen. for some reason couldn't keep the dam exaust manifold on the thing, tried everything, had the head machined,maniold machined,both were perfectly flat, i can't remember if it has studs of bolts holding it on,but all the hardware was replaced, it had those wierd triangle shaped washers holding it on, still kept coming loose. that was just one problem with it, the dam thing was cursed. couple of times the throttle just hung wide open going down the road, nearly hit a couple of cars,then it started working right, went through that thing from carb to gas pedal and never could find a thing causing it. I remember a lot of times the heater would start blowing hot air no matter what the outside temp was, trying to bake me out of the car, then one time i was dating this really hot girl who was well endowed if you know what i mean, the heat decided to fail on a date,while it was freezing cold outside in South Georgia. I finally sold the POS to someone i knew at a yard who liked old dodge stuff, he sold it to someone who worked for him, ran perfectly fine after that. I guess it didn't like me or something.

16. NO!!! :eek: Would Yamaha do a thing like that??:p

17. H3O

H3O

too late, they already did!!!! :D:eek:

18. Dodges seem to be like that:( Caravan, Daytona Turdbo,

19. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Oooooh yea. I'v had one!!!

Completely O/T... Bought a brand new Renault alliance convert. What a total turd. It was on the dealers rack more than it was on the road.

I got real lucky tho... Literally :eek:
    About 5 months into my nightmare, I was sitting behind a big Buick at a traffic light, when a full sized Ford van rear-ended me @ about 45 mph. That little POS folded like a book!

The back of the front seat was touching the back seat. The steering column was pointing straight up in the air, and the rear wheels were completely off the ground!

I walked away without a scratch. :D

20. H3O

H3O

must be christine's offspring!!:D

21. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think it was the emblem on the front.

22. artemas

artemas

yes and I sold it! I will buy yours for 1000.00 though!

23. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

i've heard a lil holy water in the radiator helps!

24. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Oh yeah, Yamaha IT465 Enduro. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. This was 30 years ago, so my memory is a little hazy, but the main thing is that it would stick the throttle wide open. Took everything apart, clearanced everything, oiled everything, replaced the cable, still stuck wide open. Replaced the slide spring with a stronger one, still stuck wide open, only now it was more unappealing to ride because of the effort required on the twist grip from the stronger spring. The last time I tried to ride it, gave the starter a kick and a half-tennis-ball-size chunk of side cover where the starter shaft goes in broke off. Pushed the bike into the garage and put it up for sale.

I don't like to sell a motor vehicle to a friend because if anything goes wrong with it, you feel a responsibility to help out. Regardless, a friend bullied me into buying the bike. Turned out to be the best bike he ever owned to hear him tell it.

I really do think there is some sort of karma involved with some vehicles.

25. Most all of the nightmares in my 65 Chevy stepside were caused by my previous mistakes or misrepairs. But, if you buy a 21 year old truck for $1100, and drive it 20 years/320k miles, you will work on it and break shit. Engines, transmissions, rearend, fenders, fingers, etc.

26. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Ain't that the truth! I guess it's the price we pay for having an old car fetish. It's still better than buying a 2007 Volvo, making $495 a month payments and throwing up in my mouth a little every time I got in it. C'est la vie. Either way, I need a transmission. Anyone in the middle of Texas have one lying around?

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

28. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Sounds about like this gawd-awful truck. If this transmission replacement doesn't take and it does something else that leaves me stranded and poor, I'm going to build a catapult and shoot it to the freakin' moon and be done with it! I should have never sold that Edsel. (Sorry Frankie).

By the way, Jeff, I think I dated a girl like that for a while. How does that old saying go?..."If it has tits or tires, it WILL give you trouble".

29. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

Cursed? No, but I did own a few that made the wife jealous

30. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Yes,hell yes. Had a Dodge Van ,1977. Broke a crank at 27,000. Back then you got 24,000 or 12 months which ever came first. Had 27,000 in 9 months. Bastards wouldn't give me any kind of break. I talked to every one from the guy that swept the floors to Dodge's president's assistant. No help. Electrical problems, wiper motors going out. Wouldn't stay in cruise control. Vowed to NEVER own anothe Chrysler product and haven't.