Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ever finish a build and decide its not for you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, May 14, 2016.

1. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Don't get me wrong, I love Model A's and all sorts of hot rods. I sold my 50 Chevy to finance my A build, both were low buck builds (relatively) and learning experiences. However, now that it's running and driving, I'm not digging it. Yes, I know that A's are rough rides, but on Burbank (and LA area) roads it borders on the obscene. With 2 kids, and a third here in a month, getting something enclosed would also make it easier to enjoy with the family. I also won't even get into how terrible the Glendale drivers are out here...you NEED power brakes in my opinion.

This is hard for me, I've found a slightly OT car that I like that fits the bill, but I'm sentimentally invested in my A, as it's been a family affair. I'm probably being a wuss about it. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

If you want to enjoy this hobby with your family then sell it and get something more appropriate for that.
    Life is short. In a few years you will have a better idea if they are still interested in it and can make a change then if needed.

3. 2935ford

2935ford

Ok, you built the car and now it's not for you...........nothing wrong with that and finding something that fits you better.
    In my eyes.....no big deal.......sell it and move on! :)

4. Well- You learned a lot with the "A"......... Nothing different with something with a top. Mechanical's still apply..... Carry your knowledge forward. OR- Squeeze in both.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think that sometimes, folks pick a build for the wrong reasons. For instance, heavily chopped cars are cool looking, but at 6' 3", I sure as hell wouldn't build one. I wouldn't be able to fit into it or drive it.You probably built a really nice ride, but now you're having a reality check. There's nothing wrong with that. It happens. But at least you caught it and admitted it. I've seen guys with cars that looked great, but they couldn't enjoy them and isn't that what we're into this car for? Pleasure?

A car that isn't fun gets parked. That's why planning and researching is so important before a person gets to where you are now. Sell it and get something you and your family will enjoy.

6. oldolds

oldolds

Always scary building a car from scratch. Sometimes it just doesn't fit right, drive how you expected ect. Sometimes our tastes change. I is part of the challenge of building a car. That is one of the perks of buying a driving car, whether finished or not, You can see if you like it first.

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

No, but I Understand your position, most of us "Old Timers" have the luxury of more than 1 ride AND alot of us have OT late model Hot Rods. Suggest you find something that the family can fit in, up to 64, lots of cool full size rides, IMO, its in your best interest to keep family interested AND happy wife/happy life. Being a young man,you have time to come back to older Hot Hods, they will always be here. Good Luck !

8. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

HAMB friendly roadsters are more like 4 wheel motorcycles than modern cars.

9. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I sold my 30 a coupe and my 41 ford 1/2 ton and bought a 61 olds 88 sedan so i could haul my family, crazy move on my part and i wish i had the truck back, my wife wants the coupe back.....i dunno what im trying to tell you, oh btw, once the kids are with you they just wanna fight and u wish u were riding alone in a bumpy ride

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Family first brother!
    Sell the Roadster and get yourself a Wagon.
    I love my Chevy II Wagon, I drive it or my A Coupe everyday.

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I got my A by trading an OT muscle car to a younger guy who just had a kid, the A really isn't a family friendly car, the muscle car is. He can strap the child car seat in the back seat and there's room for more if he has 'em. I wasn't driving that car at all, it just sat around and the battery and the tires would both go flat and I'd have to charge it up and air up the tires to drive it, and it just wasn't fun anymore. SInce I've got the A I can't get enough driving in, I love it. It was a good trade for both of us. Nothing wrong with moving on if the car isn't working for you.

12. Everyone is different, I can only speak for my self. I have a model A coupe I've had for 40 years. It has a 6 inch chop. When I was younger I would even sleep in it on long trips. The little coupe is priceless to me. SENTIMENTAL OH YEA! I understand that it is not practical , and I can't ride in it more than an hour anymore. But its still the most FUN of any car that I own, or have ever owned. That being said, at my age a road trip with the Grand kids is also very much Fun too, so the need for the Nomad. Like everyone says, Life is to short so enjoy each day. But I think every one on the planet needs a model A! ha ha Ron...

13. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I guess you could add power brakes to the a, but it should stop good enough. I just had a second kid earlier this week. My first (a three year old girl) demanded we take the red one to go get pancakes this morning. The red one is a 30 coupe. Now San Diego isn't Glendale but I still won't take her on the freeway in the old cars. I really want a suburban or wagon for the family, but I can't give up the a because that is for me. One day they wont want to hangout anymore and I'll be glad I have the a.

I still contemplate selling it from time to time.

poboyross, AHotRod and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. gribbs

gribbs
    from Oshawa, ON

Classic wagons are the most practical rides in the hobby and are rad, when done right. That's where I will go when I have kids.
    Grab a mid 50s B.O.P. wagon and you might just be the raddest dad in town...you can make a gasser, custom, hot rod, street rod, rat rod ....any style you want out of one of those!

LOU WELLS, poboyross and AHotRod like this.
  15. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Lots of great input here, fellas. I'll admit that I've been looking at mid-late 60s Fairlane/Comet/etc....OT I know. Lots of good points about short term vs long term. My wife, up til recently, only liked pre-57 cars. Only recently did she open up to anything post-57....and a 66/67 Fairlane at that. Selling could happen, but I'd rather do a trade of sorts just to make life easier. I reckon I should throw some lines out and see what happens. Can I drop 10k on another running project? Yeah...but I'd rather be responsible and keep that mess in the bank, the way things are going across the country. Never know about illness or things going sideways with an unforeseen job loss.

AHotRod likes this.
  16. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

In regards to road worthiness, it's fine for town and regular highways, but freeways? No way. It's Death Race 3000 here. I'm admittedly an amateur builder, and if I had someone more experienced knock off some of the rough edges with some easy improvements, I'd probably like the car much better.

AHotRod likes this.
  17. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Man, this reminds me of the Mountain Dew delivery guy at Leno's garage who had his little sports car overhauled on tv, but when it was finished, he squeezed into it like sardines in a can. No way he enjoyed it...maybe he did, but it looked painful.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  18. oldolds

oldolds

Not knowing your parking/storage situation, why not just look for that Fairlane in a 4 door. I bet you could find a clean one for $3000 or less. Put it on the regular ins. policy with no collision. That way when the whole family needs to head out you have the ride. When you are able to get away with the hot rod you have that too.

Hollywood-East and poboyross like this.
  19. indyjps

indyjps

Some guys like the build more than the finished car. Planning, finding and haggling for parts, welding, grinding, painting, seeing the results are more enjoyable, once the project is done you lose interest.

I have a hard time buying someone else's finished car, done it before and didn't drive them much, got sold pretty quick.

I'm with ya, I've changed direction on my OT build for family reasons, it will be much more driver and less racer. My wife still doesn't like it, so there's that. Keep the family involved and things go smoother.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  20. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Build another car for the family.Keep your roadster,they arent making them anymore and the prices wont go down.Sometimes you just need the roadster (or big motorcycle) to clear your head.

belair, poboyross and LOU WELLS like this.
  21. Get something the family can enjoy together. As said life is short. One day soon you will be 71 and your son will be 50. What happened to the time.

22. Nothing wrong with having something the whole family can enjoy-put a trailer hitch on it and your next project can be a vintage RV-now you have some real quality family time your kids will remember for the rest of their lives

poboyross and LOU WELLS like this.
  23. indyjps

indyjps

Nothing wrong with 1 on 1 time, take each kid to lunch, just you 2. Same goes for your wife.
    If you have the space, funds. I'd say keep it. They get much more expensive when you try to find one later.

poboyross likes this.
  24. That's why they Built 4 doors

just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cow's
    come Home!

poboyross likes this.
  25. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Hotrods don't lend themselves well to family drivers but in reality not the original purpose. Perhaps get a 50's early 60's car for family rides if you have the means and storage. Doesn't have to be a 4 door to be family oriented.

poboyross likes this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

27. belair

belair

Find a wagon and keep the A.

Ron Funkhouser and AHotRod like this.
  28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I have no qualms with taking my A on the fwy's around here, I do it often. Other than the extremely poor condition of some of the freeways (expansion joints and transition joints at the overpasses can be killer), and the bias tires don't work very well on the rain grooves, but it keeps up with traffic just fine, cruises 70 - 80 no problem, with plenty in reserve for passing. As far as brakes go, what can I say. That's part of the "traditional" style, and it's a part I personally can do without. And I do. I know they're not cool around here, but I have discs all the way around on mine, still manual, no power, but it stops very nicely with no drama. Sorry guys, I'll probably get slammed, but I get over it every time I use them. Like I said, I have no qualms jumping on the fwy, even in commuter traffic.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Did't he say he's in San Diego? Pretty big difference between the 2.

30. Finish a build?

Tman and Chili Phil like this.