Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever feel like calling it quits from the hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RICKY~RICARDO, Mar 25, 2013.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I am working on doing my last customer restoration. (O/T) car. When it is done I can complete some stuff of my own I've been dreaming of for years. My mothers 70 coronet 500 wagon, my 70 flattracker sportster, a 37 chevy coupe and whatever else I can find. I'm burnt out on customer cars but not on mine!!! Lippy

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I doubt that many of us will quit until we absolutely have to. Every one of you guys is an artist. And artists have to express themselves... to create.

Thank you to everyone for sharing. Makes me feel not so alone. Getting older too, and haven't done nearly what I had planned. But I'm working on it. If it's the last thing I do... and it might be. LOL! Can't really stop without having hardly gotten started.
    All good luck to you guys. :D

mad mikey and lippy like this.
  3. I still love the old cars as much today as that 12 year old kid reading hot rod magazine sitting in the floor in front of the magazine rack at Bryant's Corner Pharmacy, that single magazine that I pleaded with my mom to purchase did more to inspire me to read and it also gave me a goal, I wanted to build a hot rod!.

Interestingly enough, that particular magazine featured fellow Hamber Dean Lowe and his 1929 roadster pickup and I still have that very same magazine that my mom purchased 60 years ago, recently I uncovered it in a stack of old magazines, I sent Dean a conversation and he was more than willing to autograph my magazine and send it back to me, Thanks Dean.

I can't imagine walking out in the garage and not having a hot rod or two, I don't work on them every day anymore and at this point in time I don't have a project but the cars/hobby is still a big part of my life, part of my DNA if you will. HRP

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    rod1, mad mikey, Hombre and 4 others like this.
  4. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

You forgot the 3rd thing #3. Space
    I have never had #2. (except when I step in it;)) so to me that's more of a mind over matter thing:D
    I just wait patiently bide my #1. buy and sell to cover what I can't make...then do everything possible myself... and when they're done I mostly enjoy (the hobby) all by myself:D
    However #3. has been the biggest buzz-kill of all....housing bubble yada yada, moving shit from place to place, putting projects on hiatus etc.:( ...I still mostly work on them outdoors to this day....guess I'm too legit to quit:rolleyes: ....or crazyo_O

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

Can't quit because it is too deeply imprinted. I agree with Nailhead A-V8 about space to work being an issue. Early in the game, I built a 20x26' garage back at my mom's house since that was as big as I could get in that yard. Kept finding more car projects that I just couldn't work on due to no room. Finally, the stars aligned. I found a house owned by another gear head that had a 2 car heated garage in back and another really long heated 1 car garage in front. No way I will ever give up this hobby. Bonus- we just bought the house next door as a rental property and it has a 2 car garage. I can see an easy make-do spray booth in my future.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  6. I have considered quitting multiple times and even tried a time or two, but kind of tough when about 90% of my friends in life are from this hobby. Anyway, not sure it is something I can just walk away from. I have just had to make sure it remains where it belongs in priority when compared to God, family, etc. Pretty sure I made it even harder to walk away from by passing on this hobby to a couple teenage boys. Now to just ruin my grandson too. :D

7. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I did walk away from it in the mid-'90s because I had the crusher blues. Couldn't find anything locally and didn't have enough patience to wait on the Hemming's phone book. Wasn't until two years ago I had a dream one night. I was quick-shifting a 4 speed in a fast red car. My grand-daughter was in the passenger seat laughing and having fun. I had 'that feeling' I hadn't had in a very long time and it felt so real. Jumped on the internet to try and find an affordable car that just needed sprucing up and bought my little Merc. Now I get a big smile on my face every time the front end lifts on the high speed shifts. Life is good. :)

Joe

guthriesmith likes this.
  8. Just nicely found the hamb, can’t hardly think of quitting.

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not yet, although finding good pre-65 project cars is getting more difficult every year.