Register now to get rid of these ads!

ever cut glass with a plasma cutter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Mopar34

Mopar34

plasma cutter for glass?? I doubt it unless the glass was at least 2 inches thick and even then I wouldn't think so.

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Does anyone make a portable waterjet cutter? Might work better than plasma.

3. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Don't the 2 guys on the orange lift know they should be wearing a seat belt

4. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

Oh come on now Nads, they've been making wood shoes in Sweden for centuries :eek::D

We still managed to put out a few decent metal men :rolleyes:

On the plasma glass cutting, plz include pix. I'll make popcorn and call the medics...

Then again you got this weird plasma glass cutting example on you tube... www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzaGSF0xnT0

Mike

www.Customikes.com

5. I cut sheets of 1/2" aluminum sandwiched together all the time............. makes a nice, clean cut.
    I don't do glass..............

6. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

I have cut the chesse a few times

7. brewsir

brewsir

NO...I tried this yesterday with a piece of laminated glass.
    First I tried aluminum foil which melted quickly and the arc lost ground....after it got hot and shattered the top glass.
    Second attempt was with a piece of 20 ga metal laying on top of the glass....same results...very hot glass makes huge cracks.
    Lastly I placed the steel under the glass and started an arc ....it kind of melted the glass but also got hot and caused huge cracks.
    Myth busted as far as I'm concerned. The rapid changes in temps of the glass will always cause cracks.

8. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I was talking about steel or stainless I will try aluminum some time.

9. budd

budd

like i had posted in this thread allready i have cut ceramic glass with a plasma, the cut was about 1/4" wide and it made icicles on the underside, totaly unuseable, no cracks but ceramic glass is not supose to crack when heated, you take a piece of ceramic glass and have one end in a bucket of ice water and melt a hole with a torch in the end sticking up out of the water, but i dont see a use for it in autos unless you wanted to make a window in your exhaust manifold so you can watch the pretty flames. hey maybe a small round window in each of your header tubes would be cool.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  10. [​IMG]

11. I'd imagine it would lose it's temper for sure if you came up and whacked it for no reason with a hatchet. I'd lose my temper if someone tried to whack me with one.

12. turdytoo

turdytoo

I'm not beleiving I actually read this whole thing.

13. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I'm with you on this one!!!!!!!

14. bobjob55

bobjob55

I think it would be dangerous !! even with a water jet!!but i hear water jet is way to cut glass...

15. bert haddock

bert haddock
    from England

16. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

You owe me a keyboard.
    There's diet coke all over and inside mine now.

17. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

no. it will heat the glass up too much and crack it. The thing about cutting or grinding glass is you have too keep it cool.

18. Forget plasma, I do it with dryer sheets. It's dangerous in it's own way but it works every time-IF you know what you are doing.

19. firemunkey

firemunkey
    from temecula

Dryer sheets, ha! I'm going to buy up all the local supply, miracle tissue!

20. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

If the dryer sheets dont work, I bet this guy knows how to do it...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rLDgQg6bq7o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rLDgQg6bq7o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

21. wow, washing your engine parts in the dishwasher and now cuttin windows with the plasma! its comedy hour on the hamb!!! lol

22. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

[​IMG]
    she could use a plasma cutter

23. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Hey it is tech week, somebody do it!

24. thanks for the laugh guys,never though tech could do that.:p:p

25. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I was waiting for the dryer sheets to make an appearance! You all never disappoint!! :)

26. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

My welding instructer claims it can be done by making a dam/channel with clay or something similar to hold water on the cut line. I'd like to see it, albeit from a distance!!

Brian

27. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

if my boy cheech can find away so can you!!!!:D

Attached Files:

28. Tic

Tic

OK I'll join the fun... I tried it with a Mason jar (canning jar) and a low setting. I sprayed the jar with conductive spray paint and it did cut the glass. It cracked the glass from where I started the cut, up to the top of the jar but not below the cut. I left the jar in the sun after I sprayed it so it would warm up to minimize expansion. I also tried it with a piece of laminated glass and when it cut through the top layer and hit the plastic it would blow out. I also left the piece of windshield out in the sun before I tried the cut to pre-heat it. I didn't get any cracks but it didn't make a clean cut either.

Tic

29. TripletEngineer

TripletEngineer
    from Atlanta

I read this link long ago but did not have a plasma cutter. Eventually, I got the torch and gave it a try. Yes, backing or fronting glass with a sheet of metal works just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f34LdyvHmvo

I have some really thick aquarium glass that I will try soon. If I can get it to cut through 3/8 glass, I'll make a jigsaw puzzle.

Thanks.